Full Download Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

glopal

Solid State Member
This may be a dumb question... please no laughing or flaming, thank you.

I have been tweaking with my internet connection, and i got it up to 499kbps, which im happy with for the moment, now heres my question. Why when i try to download something the fastest I get is like 100kbps? Is my bandwidth like allocated, a bit for upload, bit for download, some for this and that. If so, is there a program I can download to change those numbers, like put 300kb for downloads, and the rest for whatever else there is?

Try going to www.dslreports.com and use their speed tests. It tells you your upload and download speeds. As for your connection speed... mine is about 5000kb, however I don't download at 5000 kb/s. Usually I get around 600kb/s. What you're describing sounds about right. Think of it like HDD's, it just never works out quite perfectly.

Hope that explains it a little better.

Also keep in mind that even though you may have xxx amount of download speed through your ISP, the sites you connect to can limit the bandwidth you download at.
Most do this to stay within the boundaries/restrictions that their server issues them. So even though you technically could download at xxxkbp/s, it will not always be that for every download site.

There are also 8 bits in one byte. When you do a speed test it measures your speed in Kilobits per second. When you do a download it is measured in kilobytes per second. If you speet test at 499Kbps, then you would most likely be downloading at 60 KB/sec. If you are getting 100 KB/sec and speed testing at 499Kbps, you are doing pretty good.

There is programs out there that can boost you connection up a little though, but not much. Download accelerator is such a program.

bradybnmci said:
I probably wouldn't touch an app that touches connections.

just my 2¢

They only work in they can compress the file, they wont work for zip's, mp3's, jpg's ect.

You should be happy with 100Kbps. I run on dialup (56Kbps) and my average download speed is 4KBps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom