ftp setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmshort

Solid State Member
We have a Windows Server 2003 on a private network along with a few other computers.
On computer A, I created a new IP address. A ping to that address from computer A and computer B both get replies.
On computer A, I created an FTP site, gave it a name, a default directory, and set up a banner and exit message. Anonymous is allowed and a user name and password have been created.
The banner is HELLO FROM SITE 2
The exit message is GOODBY FROM SITE 2
From computer B, I cannot log in to that address. Here is the exchange from trying to access the site from the DOS prompt:

ftp 192.168.2.8
connected to 192.168.2.8
220-Microsoft FTP Service
220 HELLO FROM SITE 2
User <192.168.2.8 <none>> anonymous
Anonymous access allowed, send identity <email name> as password
Password:
530 User <anything typed in> cannot log in
Login failed

When entering disconnect <cr> at the dos prompt the response is:
GOODBY FROM SITE 2

I have tried entering anonymous with and without a password. I have also used the account name and password I specified via the IIS services. I am logging in to both computers with an adminstrative level password.

Is there another layer of security that I am not aware of? What can I do to gain access to this new site?

Follow up: I have found that by going to
Start -> Administrative Tools -> Active Directory Users and Computers
I can add a user ID then log in via FTP using that specific user ID and password. I still cannot get anonymous to work. My understanding is that a user should be able to access the FTP server with the user name: anonymous, then use the password me@myemail.com.
I need help in getting the Windows 2003 configured to do that.
Thank you.

If its anonymous u shouldn't have to put in anything.

what happens when u access it from explorer?

Hello Bruce,
When using explorer, I enter
ftp://192.168.2.2
for the URL, then it pops up a fairly large "Log On As" window asking for username and password. Entering the valid user name and pasword gets me into the default directory. Clicking the check box to log in anonymously clears the user name and puts in a default email address. When OK is clicked, the response is that either anonymous is not allowed or the email address was rejected for some reason.

I can use the DOS command window and put and get files to the default directory, but only using the specified account and password.

I am hoping someone will recognize the symptoms.
Thanks for your response.

You have to only allow anonymous connections

Configure The FTP Service
To configure the FTP Service to allow only anonymous connections, follow these steps: 1. Start Internet Information Services Manager or open the IIS snap-in.
2. Expand Server_name, where Server_name is the name of the server.
3. Expand FTP Sites
4. Right-click Default FTP Site, and then click Properties.
5. Click the Security Accounts tab.
6. Click to select the Allow Anonymous Connections check box (if it is not already selected), and then click to select the Allow only anonymous connections check box.

When you click to select the Allow only anonymous connections check box, you configure the FTP Service to allow only anonymous connections. Users cannot log on by using user names and passwords.
7. Click the Home Directory tab.
8. Click to select the Read and Log visits check boxes (if they are not already selected), and then click to clear the Write check box (if it is not already cleared).
9. Click OK.
10. Quit Internet Information Services Manager or close the IIS snap-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom