ftp hosting with iis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike9182

In Runtime
I am trying to host a ftp site through Microsoft IIS. When I connect to the computer's ip address from the computer I am on it asks for the login and then brings up the files. But, when I try to bring it up on another computer on the network, it just says, "An error occurred while opening that folder on the ftp server. Make sure you have permission to access that folder." "Details: The operation timed out."

What do I need to change.

dkadmin said:
I set up the site again according to the tutorial, but I still got the same message.

Sure it's not a firewall issue? What security application are you running on that ftp server? Make sure that port 20 and 21 is open for active ftp.

dkadmin said:
I am trying to host a ftp site through Microsoft IIS. When I connect to the computer's ip address from the computer I am on it asks for the login and then brings up the files. But, when I try to bring it up on another computer on the network, it just says, "An error occurred while opening that folder on the ftp server. Make sure you have permission to access that folder." "Details: The operation timed out."

What do I need to change.

Hi Dkadmin,

I am now going with the step by step trials. I am re-writing the settings you are having and I am suggesting some ways in the latter steps.

1. The 1st computer is having FTP Server running.

2. The 2nd computer can open the FTP site and can see the files.

3. The 3rd computer when tries to open the FTP site, it results in an error.

4. But all the 3 computers are on the same network.

5. If the 2nd computer is able to open the FTP site, so I think there is no issue with port and the 3rd computer should also be able to open as both 2nd and 3rd computers are on the same network.

6. Go to 1st computer (your FTP Server) and check in IIS Configuration if the IP of 3rd computer is blocked by mistake.

7. Just try to ping the 3rd computer from both the 1st Computer (FTP server) and the 2nd computer.

8. Check if the communication between 2nd and 3rd computers are properly established. If these 2 computers can communicate with each other then only be sure that both 2nd and 3rd computers are on the same network and the access from both of them to your FTP Server is identical.

9. Try to access any other FTP server from this 3rd computer and check if it is able to open and if yes then try to access from 2nd computer also and see if that opens too.

10. If both can open the other FTP site without any problem then check your IIS Configuration again and find if the ports are blocked for this 3rd computer. Open port 20 and 21 in 3rd computer also and try again.

If nothing works -- I am sorry I wont be able to find any other way out. Excuse me then.

Lofty

When I said "the computer that I was on", I meant the computer that the site is on.

I also have already opened port 21, the port the site is set to be hosted on, in windows firewall, the only firewall on the host.

Ok open the port in the 2nd computer also but that does not matter, still give it a try ..

dkadmin said:
When I said "the computer that I was on", I meant the computer that the site is on.

I also have already opened port 21, the port the site is set to be hosted on, in windows firewall, the only firewall on the host.

Try opening the FTP site by typing the IP: port.

Like this --> ftp://x.x.x.x:21

Give it a try also ...

I tried your suggestions but still got the same error.

Also, the error has been coming up after I enter the user name and password, and if I enter the wrong username or password then it just brings up the login screen again.

What's the status?

dkadmin said:
I tried your suggestions but still got the same error.

Also, the error has been coming up after I enter the user name and password, and if I enter the wrong username or password then it just brings up the login screen again.

Hi DkAdmin,
I just want to know the status now.

I cant help as the solution of this problem is probably beyond the reach of my knowledge.

Lofty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom