ftp GRRRRR!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter.Cort

TF's First Dry Ice User!
:confused:

OK~! so i got a little pc that im using for ftp space, and i can get the stuff set up in windows but not really.

I installed the IIS thing in windows, and went to set up the FTP thing like it said in a "how to" guide. so i'm at the point where i wanna set up an ftp so i can get files from other places, and im going away and wanna be able to access it from far awayyyyyyyyy.

I don't have a registered domain name, and am just going to use my ip which i have. lets call it 1.4.2.1 for now. so what do i do from here... im stumped :(

You will most likely haev to setup something like FileZilla Server to run and allow for connections. Also what about your firewall/router? Have you allowed for specific ports to be open to allow for a connection?

You're going to need to forward ports 20 and 21 from your router to the FTP server.

After that, you should be able to get files by using any FTP software or Web browser.

If you need more help with the IIS config, just let me know.

mak, so you mean like running a program to accept files, or to run as the file server? Cause i have cuteFTP that i use for uploading the files and such.

and bla, i can easily enough forward ports, its the setup and config of the IIS stuff that i'm having the trouble wiht. I'll be on later today (school :( ) so if you just keep posting or if you have aim/xfire/msn that would be great so you can walk me through this and not have to keep refreshing the page.

It's not too hard to get FTP on iis up and running.

1st - make sure you checked FTP under Application Server when you added the IIS component.

Then open up the IIS manager (start --> administrative tools --> IIS Manager)
Under there, Expand your server name, then expand FTP Sites
Right click on Default FTP Site and click properties.

Click on the home directory tab. In "Local Path" enter in the path to where you want your FTP site to store data on your server. If you want to write, make sure to check the Write box.

Click on the Secuirty Accounts Tab. Uncheck Allow anonymous connections.
Click on OK.

Right click on Default FTP Site again, and then click on permissions.
Make sure the account you want to authenticate to your FTP site is listed in there and has the desired permissions.
Click OK.

Make sure that the Default FTP Site says it's running. If it isn't, right click it and click start.

Then to verify you can connect, open up your web broswer and go to ftp://localhost Log in with the account you setup access for.

To test that you have the ports fowarded correctly go to ftp://publicIP and do the same thing.

I've watched FTP grow from a simple messenger facility to a front door to site access with it own fancy GUI window and gadgets itself having it's own set of permissions. At that time it was neck in neck with browse. I liked the old fashioned browse where I can actually see my files being uploaded and I can control things on my own.

Now FTP takes over more of the functionality, and site hosts are offering browse options less and less.

If you have the option use browse at least you can see where things are going and you have control and less restrictions.

SpenceQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom