ftp and anonymous connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

zillah

In Runtime
I configured FTP server on XP PC.

1- Why do the username and password get active when I ckeck the box for "Allow Anonymous connections" ? Shouldn't be gray (inactive) ?

Does that mean the remote user should the use the default username (readable) and password (unreadabe), when he tries to login to the XP ?
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1264/ftpanonoymousforum8ns.jpg

ftpanonoymousforum8ns.jpg

If I unckeck the box I have got this :
http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=removetickftp5de.jpg
my.php

2- Why do we have two options:

"Allow Anonymous connections" and "Allow only anonymous connections".

the username and password in that box are the credentials the webserver uses to interact with the local system. This is done so you can set permissions on your files for the anon users.

don't change the pwd. there's some admin script to figure out what it is but you should not need to change it.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...b2e-b697-4bb3-8a61-0fad73a1fa08.mspx?mfr=true

Setting the Authentication Method

Two types of users can connect to an FTP site: anonymous users and authenticated users. Set the authentication method to allow only anonymous users, authenticated users, or both anonymous users and authenticated users. If you want to allow only anonymous users, in the FTP Sites Properties dialog box, on theSecurity Accounts tab, select the Allow anonymous connections check box and the Allow only anonymous connections check box. If you want to allow only authenticated users, clear the Allow anonymous connections check box. If you want to allow anonymous users and authenticated users, select only the Allow anonymous connections check box. Anonymous access to FTP resources works similarly to anonymous access to Web sites. If anonymous access is allowed, all client connections with the user name anonymous or ftp are accepted and authenticated as the anonymous user. By default, the user account that is configured as the anonymous user is IUSR_ComputerName. As an Internet convention for anonymous FTP user identification, the anonymous user is prompted for a password, which is used as a user name.

If a site uses FTP User Isolation and a user connects with a user name and password, then the user is authenticated with his or her Windows account and mapped to individual home directories. This practice is not secure because credentials are transmitted over the network in plaintext and can therefore be intercepted and read. For step-by-step instructions for setting the FTP authentication method, see FTP Site Authentication in IIS 6.0.

Thanks Walter for this explaination.

1- if I checked the first option ("Allow Anonymous connections" ), and I checked the second option ("Allow only anonymous connections" ), and I have not changed the deault username and password for FTP server, I won't be presented with winodws to enter the username and password. I was to able to access as anonym

2- if I checked the first option ("Allow Anonymous connections" ), and I unchecked the second option ("Allow only anonymous connections" ), and I have not changed the deault username and password for FTP server, I won't be presented with winodws to enter the username and password. I was to able to access as anonym

3- if I unchecked the first option ("Allow Anonymous connections" ), and I have not changed the deault username and password for FTP server, I will be presented with windows to enter the username and password. I had entered the username for adim, and password for him, I was able to access the FTP server.

4- if I checked the first option ("Allow Anonymous connections" ), and I unchecked the second option ("Allow only anonymous connections" ),and If I have changed the deault username and password for FTP server to a username: khadem, and a password: hyawi, I have not tried this option yet,,,,,what will happen ? How can I rever back to the origin username and password ?

4- What should I tick (check) to let specific users (not only one user) to access the ftp server,,,,(i.e. if I have usernames : pfan, jsmith, malen, mzaid, I want to give these users only to access ftp server )

If u uncheck the connect anon and the iis handling passwords.It will let anyone who has a domain acct or a local acct on that machine access the ftp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom