Ftp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monster00

Daemon Poster
hey, i got a question. How do u setup a FTP? like a public one where i can put on my profile or somthing and so people can look at pictures. Can anyone step me through for how to make one?

You need a few things.

A way to connect to the internet (Duh..:) )

A PC that you will use as an FTP Server

You need to know your Public IP address (assigned by your ISP)
- You can go to www.myipaddress.com and it will show you your public IP.

You will need to setup port forwarding on your router for the FTP ports that will be used. If you don't do that, when you try to connect to the FTP server, you will get a "Page cannot be displayed" error.

This is just the basic steps you need to take, if you want more specifics, we need to know what type of FTP server you are planning on using.

well the type of FTP server, is like u know if u click on someones profile, and it comes up with a list of files and stuff. You can like DL off of or get the files off of them? just like a simple one for that.

Good question.

**Looks to Holocron for all the answers**

What different ftp server programs do you suggest? I have read about some but not in depth.

man this has been asked a few times try searching the archives on this board. basically the best FTP service to run is called bulletFTP, if you are cheapo use IIS which is included with all windows server OS'es and winxp PRO. open your ports 21 & 20 for FTP services on your linksys router. i can almost read your mind, you must have a linksys BEFSR41 right?

192.168.1.1 in your browser will let you login your router config to do this. use a IP updater program on the server and sign up for your dynamic DNS service like no-ip.com or dyndns.org. whenever your dynamic IP changes the updater logs into your account and updates the IP. so all you need to give people is example: selene.dyndns.org instead of some cryptic quad number like 78.47.31.38 which changes every month or so. again check the archives

I am using WS_FTP, though i am not expert. I have no idea about port forwarding. I am using zoom ADSL modem/router. But can anyone tell me how to setup FTP in IIS. I am using XP pro.

The weired in mandrake 10 is when i just typed ftp.microsoft.com FTP setup automatically came along and said server is busy. weired. I can't remember during the installation process if i tick the ftp service, or it's just by default.

I am interested to know how to setup ftp in IIS. If anyone tell me I will do it rite now.

rajunpl said:

I am interested to know how to setup ftp in IIS. If anyone tell me I will do it rite now.
Just insert your XP CD.
Wait.
Choose "Install optional Windows components"
Wait.
Tick ISS option.
Wait................................................................... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom