Frequent broadcast ARP lookups...

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Ok, so I have an HP ProCurve 2824, and noticed that over the last few weeks it's been complaining about "Excessive Broadcasts" for the port my PC is connected to, and I noted that it triggers as soon as Windows loads...

I need help from someone, anyone, in trying to figure out what could be causing this... I ran wireshark, and noted that my computer is always sending out ARP for computers that have at one time existed on the network, but may no longer exist on the network either because the machine doesn't exist, or just isn't on...

I noted that there is also a LOT of stuff about IPv6, but I have IPv6 on my network as a whole, disabled?

What is currently on my network according to the router..
1aacb8c7b0c016323214aa0817286483.png

Packet Capture: https://mega.nz/#!A14VmaLJ!QotR5ns9tsfD36-K_dxYArbc_AZ2ZYqMteKvJLo9IJ4

BTW, seriously, why can't we have a 1MB zip allowance for uploaded attachments... -.-

EDIT: Also, I have ran malwarebytes, and ADW, both come up 100% clean. Is there some way to see what services/programs could be wanting those machines even with them not exisiting? The query seems to be rather... ridiculously frequent.

Last edited:
These ARPs are on your LAN, so their your physical devices in your environment, only two are WAN (external machines).

Just flush your ARPs of the switch. Run in Cli: clear arp < this will remove all non permanent ones.

Or on Windows, cmd run, netsh interface ip delete arpcache

Last edited:
Interesting... Curiously, why would my computer be sending those ARP requests to begin with? Also, thanks for telling me how to flush the arp cache, cleared it up... Now I am just curious as to what triggered my computer to start doing that.

EDIT: Also, I know the massive flood of requests was LAN side... I just hate seeing that switch complain every hour of every day... lol

Interesting... Curiously, why would my computer be sending those ARP requests to begin with? Also, thanks for telling me how to flush the arp cache, cleared it up... Now I am just curious as to what triggered my computer to start doing that.

EDIT: Also, I know the massive flood of requests was LAN side... I just hate seeing that switch complain every hour of every day... lol

Well if there on the network, they'll most likely be network discoverable so your router,switch will arp them to make a connection, once remembered the switch will arp for them every now and again as there cached.

Every hardware with NiC will be ARP'd (for MAC) otherwise the network layer will not know what hardware to speak to.

There are some cool tricks you can do with the ARP protocol

Yeah, but it wasn't the switch, nor router that was sending the broadcast, that is why I was so confused about it and decided I might as well ask here, seeing as my computer was sending what, 4 or 5 messages per second consistently?

Back
Top Bottom