free ip in dhcp server

Status
Not open for further replies.

vimal

Solid State Member
Is there is any way to find the free ip address of dhcp server from my client pc(win 2k)

My DHCP server is windows 2000 advancer server.i don't want to release any ips.instead i want to know the number of free ips available .

Did you already create a Scope for your DHCP Server? If so, then you just have to go into DHCP off of Administrative Tools and expand that particular scope and look in Address Leases.

-Mike

fine.but i don't want go to server side.i want to know is there is any way to get this from my client pc

I'm sorry, I didn't "read" your first post correctly... lol
No, as far as I know, you have to be at the server or remotely connected to the server from the client. If it is a small network, you can ping each address or if you are using a comprehensive hosts file you can look at the hosts file with notepad.
C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

-Mike

vimal said:
fine.but i don't want go to server side.i want to know is there is any way to get this from my client pc

Mike is right, you can't manage IP leases from a workstation for a few reasons. DHCP has to be centralized to be effective and avoid duplicate IP's and of course for security constraints.

If I were able to assign IP addresses from my workstation (Laptop) I could assign myself an IP from your subnet and boom.. instant doorway. :) :)

actually i don't want to manage my dhcp server .instead i just want to know free ip is there or not .as a computer hardware engineer when i am installing computers sometimes it will not take dhcp ip from servers.normally what will i think, that there is some hardware problem in my NIC .and i will try to change it .and so on .However i think there is no another way to find this from client .and i am closing the issue

I see, since you are constantly working on boxes, they are assigned IP leases.... after so many computers, the DHCP server runs out of IP addresses to assign, not letting you connect to your network.

That is an easy fix...

What you can do in that case is release the IP address manually from the computers after you are done working on them.

Most of the time IP leases have an expiry date it could be a day or a week (depends on how the DHCP server is setup) but it if you work on enough computers to fill up the DHCP Scope you're denied access to the network, which sounds like your problem.

In order to release the IP address in a Windows/DOS environment, you go to your command prompt and type in "IPCONFIG /RELEASE"

That will tell the DHCP server that it can reassign the IP address that was being used on that computer you were working on.

Also, if you find that this is happening quite often, speak to your systems administrator and ask him to make the DHCP Scope a little bigger for you and to reduce the expiry time for the IP leases.. that should sholve your problem.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you holocron for u'r nice help.However i am using ipconfig/release to solve this problem.but i got the information that there is one command to check the free ips.that's why i posted this .i think i got the wrong informaton.thank you all for providing help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom