Fraternity LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather950

Baseband Member
My fraternity is getting two bonded T1 lines at 3mbps up and down, but the company isn't handling our LAN setup, just installing the Cisco IAD 2432 24FXS T1 router, and handing me an ethernet cable. Then all the computers in the house go through drops to two 3Comm Super stack II switches (switch 3300), but I want to put a firewall between our lan and the T1 line. Any recommendations. I kind of want a plug an play, but still somewhat manageable if I wanted to open ports, for webhosting and bittorrent.

What firewall to get / build (thinking of something simple and cheap like NetGear FVS114 ProSafe VPN Firewall 8 with 4 Port 10/100 Mbps Switch)

Please advise, thanks,
Jimmy

if you have an older computer you could make your own with smoothwall or IP cop, both of which are pretty easy to setup and are modifyable.

Personally, I like 3com for SOHO type stuff. I just got a 3com 3CR870CF-95 for my guest lan at work and it works great so far. Of course, it's not as flexible as our PIX... but it was easy to configure. Along those lines, I used to use a 'gear ProSafe like you said, and I had a good experience with that. I would say anything NetGear or 3com would do you right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom