Forgot how to connect my LAN...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiDrIoT69

In Runtime
I just moved in my new apartment yesterday, and had the Cable installed today. But i forgot how to set up the LAN. I have a D-Link Gamers Lounge.

Can anyone tell me step by step which wires to plug into the router and where they go to? I tried a bunch of different combinations, but they dont work.

The guy who installed the cable also did something in the Command Prompt.

Do i connect the wire in the WAN to the modem? Then connect an ethernet cable from a slot on the router to the computer? Then use another ethernet in a slot to connect it to my other computer?

I tried that, but i dont get a connection on either computer, but the router shows the lights on.

First connect the coaxial cable to the cable modem, making sure the green lights are steady and all is lit then connect one computer to the modem with a straight through cable (it's usually grey or you can tell by holding the ends together and the color of the pin matches). See if you can get online first with that computer connected to the modem, if any problems occur go to your network connection right click and select repair.

After you get online you want to now connect your router to the cable modem using the straight through cable. Then connect all computers to the router using a straight through cable. Do a repair on the computer network connection if something wrong occur.

If you can't get online with the router then unplug the modem power and router and plug the modem back wait about 10 sec and plug the router power in. If this doesnÂ’t work go to the computer that you plug directly to the modem and right click on itÂ’s connection and view the status, you need to get the MAC address of that computer then go into the router configuration and find the MAC cloning setting and enter that computer MAC. Just in case the ISP only allow that computer to connect, the MAC cloning feature will fool them.

After you get online you want to now connect your router to the cable modem using the straight through cable. Then connect all computers to the router using a straight through cable. Do a repair on the computer network connection if something wrong occur.

I tried that a no luck, i tried repair and it said this:

Limited or No Activity:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address.

Did the Comcast guy who installed my internet change something and ****ed it all up?

Ohhh thank god. I unplug the modem/router, and i was like NOO ITS NOT WORKING.

So i sat there, then it worked!!!!

Thanks a ton, i love you!!!!

Yea all you have to do sometime is unplug the power from the modem and router. This will renew your IP and the new MAC address will be recorded and accepted for the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom