Folder locked???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogo76

Solid State Member
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can help me out here. I know that there are a lot of third party software that allows to password protect folder or drives on the "LOCAL COMPUTER". Well, i have a different scenario here.

I have a small LAN set up at the office. There are 5 computers on the network. One of them acts as a fileserver where there is a folder that can be accessed by all the other computers. It stores all data as the name implies.

So my problem is if possible, i want to password protect the folder on the file server that is already made shared on the network, and hoping that everytime someone from other computers on the network trying to access the folder on the fileserver will be asked for password before allowing he or she to access it. In another words, i'm after a software that i can install on the fileserver to password protect the shared folder from being accessed by users from other computers on the network.

Thank you in advance and look forward to hearing from you.

What Operating System? You could just disable guest account on the file server in control panel\administrative tools\computer management. While in computer management you create an account for each person and set their password. When they click on the share folder a login prompt will appear and require them to use the account you created to access the share. You could put user in different groups depending on the permission you want to allow for that user. Some groups are User,Power User, Backup, Administrator, ..etc

Edit* You have to disable guest account on all computer in computer management. Then set the permission and add user to the folder you are sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom