!!! FIRST TIME CREATING a WIRELESS NETWORK HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0t

In Runtime
Fixed my last problem. Whole point of fixing my last problem was so that I could get this network set up. Please help.

I'm a complete begginer to wireless networking here. I just bought a Linksys wireless-g WRT54g wireless router along with a Linksys WMP54g PCI adapter for my desktop. Now, they're both designed to be compatible and 'supposedly' work seamlessly. I've got the internet working on both computers. The host computer (computer that's wired to modem and router) and the wireless desktop both run at optimal speeds internet wise. Here's the problem, for the past 3 days I've been trying to create a wireless network so that we can share files, pictures, music, printers, etc.

I've already tried running the Wireless Network Setup along with the Network setup wizard multiple times. I have failed miserably. I just can't get it to work. I've ran them twice, on both computers. I've changed workgroup names, computer names, etc. I'm 80% sure I'm doing this wrong. Someone PLEASE walk me through this. I've already got the internet working, but I can't get the network set up. We just want to share files, printers, etc. I've been at this for a few days now, so it's getting really frustrating. Help.

Allright, basically, there's 2 computers.

One computer is mine (Bigger Hard Drive)
The other belongs to my sister (Small Hard Drive)

Now, I managed to get a network going. I can view/access my sister's files. She can view/access my files. The only problem is, when I shut down my PC, she can no longer access my files. If she shuts down her PC, I can no longer access her files. The whole point of this network deal was so that my sister could use MY hard-drive since her's is so small. I thought by creating a network, the files would stay on that network. Wether or not the PC's were on/off. A 'virtual' hard-drive of sorts. Anyway of making this happen? We basically want to make it so she can access the files on my PC regardless of wether or not it's off/on. Any way of doing this? If not, what alternative do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom