Firewall and Zonealarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
syedali said:
Ok V.Thanks Law i will get compulsory ZoneAlarm only.

But one problem Pls give me help full suggestion.

But i have 20system in my office.1 week before i installed (kerio-kpf-4.2.0-785-win) in my server after installation when i Enable kerio.In my Network Pcs occuring the error like it is showing off mode on that network system,when i disable kerio that sharing folder is working fine.How to solve and How to share it all systems.

My query is how share ZoneAlarm to another systems.

He said he has 20 Host in his office, before using kerio he was able to share files, now after he install kerio he can no longer browse the network. He wants to know how to configured Kerio so that he can share files.

I never used Kerio before, but Kero initially blocked file sharing on the local network after installation. In order for file sharing to work again , you have to adjust permission for file and printer sharing to permit inbound access from the trusted locations and then mark the network as trusted.

Also if you want ZoneAlarm configured for file sharing, I believe you go into firewall setting and set the network address to trusted zone. That's pretty much all I can think of.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Their is a difference between zonealarm and any hardware firewall.

One is hardware, one is software and I can explain later but I gotta go now.

A hardware firewall would be something like a router or a physical device that reside to protect an entire network or a portion of it, with a hardware firewall it can protect an entire network using features like packet filtering, port filtering, NAT, SPI, etc... With software firewall it only reside on a single machine protecting only that single host, unless there is a single machine between the internet and the network using a software firewall and acting as a hardware firewall.

With a hardware firewall you only get the lower layer protection, I believe up to the TCP/UDP of the OSI layer? Correct me if I'm wrong. With software firewall you get up to the Application layer which is good when dealing with malicious programs like worms, viruses, spywares etc. And because I believe software firewall are more expensive than hardware firewall, because they deliver more protection, features and ability to report attacks to the user immediately.

In my eyes application level firewalls are not very secure.

It's better to have a tightly controlled access-list with SPI for the same price. Unfortunetly this requires more intelligence.

And good hardware firewalls are just about impossible to crash or hack, unlike software firewalls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom