firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
can you guys suggest a basic firewall software which would protect my pc. i need to restrict access to one of my two drives. i also want to learn how firewalls work?
i have got Norton Internet Security, the updates license thing runs out in June i think.

ZoneAlarm Pro is one of the best firewalls if you are in the IT
field. It allows the ability to configure a programs access to the LAN (only) or/and the internet. It also allows you to set trusted/blocked IP address/ranges, and subnets.

This firewall allows you to setup rules (like ACL's on a router)
and Web Filtering (Parental Control) for reducing the ability
for your kids run into shady sites.

If you have Norton Security, my suggestion is you should use it and need to update it frequently. But I think Zone Alarm is a very good firewall too.

i have norton firewall, but i would like to know how to work it, at times it says that a program is trying to access something external and comes up with three options.

is there an instruction manual somewhere?

my copy of norton is legit :) , i got it with my mobo

Sygate Personal firewall works well for me to. and as a bonus it is free for the basic package.

also if you are running windows XP you can turn on The Internet Connection Firewall.

go to Start/connecto/show all connections
Right click on your NIC . Click third Tab that says advanced.

before you turn this on, make sure you click "learn more about Internet Connection Firewall" so you understand what is going to do.

It also has a nice explination as to what a Firewall is what it can and cant do for you.

I would suggest anyone that has a question about firewalls read through it, there is good info in there.

also if you are using a router cooneted to your DSL/Cable, there is a good chance there is a basic one included with it, but i wouldn't rely on that alone.

good luck... If you really want to learn about firewalls. Pick a search engine and type in "Firewall"... you will find reading materials for the next few decades...

Using Firewalls

I have McAfee and just installed thier Firewall protection. I have never used a Firewall before, will it affect or stop some programs from running, also will it stop pictures and files from being sent to me????

Thanks

Cindy

sygate is superior to ZA in one basic aspect. Both are good firewalls, however ZA has problems with some p2p clients.

also Sygate does have an easier learning curve.

btw the xp firewall isnt really a true firewall. It only stops traffic on one direction, not both.

i use norton, is there some sort of log that the firewall has for the previous 24 hours, to see what has the activity been for the time period?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom