Firewal Blocking my Internet? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thumbs down Firewal Blocking my Internet?

Everything was fine..and then out of no where, my internet stopped working, on my Vista Gateway MD26, and said my firewall might be the reason...but that's never happened before.

My connection 'says' its connected to my wireless router, but I can't get on the net. When I diagnose it, it just says "cannot be fixed automatically" or "Send this problem to Microsoft".

I dont know what to do! This has never happened before

Please, any help is welcome.

Thanks.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Default Re: Firewal Blocking my Internet?

if you're connected to the router than it might be the case that the router is damaged or the connection to your router is damaged. Try resetting your router, or just unplugging it and plugging it back in from power.

By saying that it cannot be fixed automatically what it's doing is trying to pull a new IP address from the router/modem to get onto the internet, which isn't working so it's giving you that message. If you can try and connect directly to the router, and if that doesn't give you internet then try and connect directly to your modem. If connecting to the modem gives you a connection but not connecting directly to the router, then you're router is damaged.

So quick recap, Reset your router, reset your modem, if that doesn't work then connect directly to the router and if that doesn't work connect directly to the modem.

See what those give you for results!

A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Tried this, but my other computer is working...the internet works...the only thing not working is my laptop wireless
Old 10-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

Restart your computer.
Try updating the drivers.
Go into your firewall and look for any settings that pertain to connections on the internet.

Is it just the wifi on your computer that doesn't work? If you connect directly to the router does it work?
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My Gateway MD26 vista's internet stopped working yesterday...

It was fine, and I didn't download anything that may have stopped it, but now when I try to go online, it won't.

It says, connected to netgear, but it won't actually go online.

I have a wireless router, and the computer it's connected to goes online, (what I'm using right now). My computer DOES connect to other wireless connections, just not my Netgear one.

It started saying something about the firewall causing the problem?

Please help !!!
Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

You can't connect to the wireless network or you can connect to the wireless network but not the internet?
If it's the second case have you tried to ping the router? If you can ping the router maybe is a dns problem. Try to ping google's ip, 209.85.229.99.

ASUS P5P77D :: INTEL i5 750@3.6 GHz :: Asus HD4890 :: 4GB Gskill Ripjaw 1600MHz CL7 :: WD Black 1TB :: SSD OCZ Vertex2 60GB :: Corsair 750TX :: LG L204WT :: Windows 7 x64

<<<<<<<<<< If you think I've been helpful in anyway rep me :p
Old 10-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My computer connects to different networks, but it will not connect to my network connection...it works on my mom's computer though in the same house....

Closed Thread