Fire House RDP to Computer w/ Verizon Jetpack

mzucker

Beta member
So I need to preface this with a bit of background. I am trying to connect our fire house computer to the computer that is located on our fire truck. The fire truck has a piece of software on it which cannot be installed inside the fire house. This software make a sound when a 911 call comes in, and since the fire engine is nowhere near where we sit when not on a call, its difficult to hear the sound. We would like to hardwire this sound into the station intercom system from the station computer (this is the easy part).

So...

I think the best way to do this is that we would have an RDP connection always on, whereby the station computer would be connected to the engine computer. The issue with this is that the engine computer is connected to a Verizon Jetpack behind Verizon's private network. This would also be beneficial because obviously the ire engine computer is mobile when on calls.

My thought is to use VPN and then connect that way, however I do not know how to set that up.

If anybody has any other thoughts or can guide me through setting up VPN, please let me know. Obviously, we are trying to do this with limited cost or Free.

This will not be an easy project with special software on the truck computer for some one that does not have a large back ground in programming and net work.

You need to contact the department IT people and have them work this out for you.

So all I want is to RDP into the computer since VNC does not support audio. If we can do that, we can access everything we need. I just need some direction as to how to do this given that the the computer is connected to Jetpack behind Verizon's network.

The software has no relevance.

What software is running on the engine computer? (Windows 8, 7, Linux, Mac, ETC)
I would suggest running a service called "OpenVPN", I've used it for a long time and
have never had an issue with it.

I could easily help you setup a VPN, let me know if your interested, PM me if you are.

mzucker, I work IT in a 9-1-1 center and can provide a point of contact to reach out to you if needed seeing as that is what we do here. Let me get a few things straight... you're getting 9-1-1 calls on the laptop that is located on the engine? Why isn't your PSAP getting those calls and then dispatching you? There are a multitude of solutions, including station alerting, if that's what you're after and have the money to throw at it. If that engine's laptop is a critical system, a Jetpack is the last thing it should be running on. Give me a bit more information so I know what you've got going on.

From my experience, these Jetpacks and air cards perform NAT translation to any devices hooked up to it. In order to get RDP or VNC working, you will need to get ports forwarded, and from what I've seen, the software in these jetpacks/air cards do not support port forwarding. A couple options are:
Buying a 4G enabled router, as it will have port forwarding rules;
Use TeamViewer as it uses a session broker and port forwarding is not necessary.

As far as the VPN solution goes, you will need a VPN service that will allow a port to be forwarded to you if you wish to use RDP/VNC.

Back
Top Bottom