File-transfer woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

fangs2000

In Runtime
Hey

Currently I have two computers linked up to each other via a Efficient Networks 5861 (unlocked) router. They are both working for internet. They can communicate with each other. But, when I try to send a file over 5 meg accross to my main pc, either the other pc freezes or my pc says the address is no longer available.

Both pc's are running windows xp pro.
Both network cards use up-to-date drivers.

The second PC is quiet primative (500 mhz, 32md viper card, 128mb ram)

Anyother information I will gladly give.

Thanks

How are you attemping to transfer the file(s)? Is this a wireless or wired network? Have you tried disabling any antivirus or firewall utility on both computers when transferring?

fangs2000 said:
either the other pc freezes or my pc says the address is no longer available.

this is definately what we should be looking at. Is that the exact error? if not, can we get it? It would help us out tremendously.

as a workaround you could try to upload to a free storage site like streamload

i would make shur tehre is no firewall or AV. look into ur router settings, and make shur that the shared folders are not locked or w/e. Make then accessible to the network

i use Sygate firewall and there's an option to block shared folders. When accesing any shared folder you can get a blue screen, maybe you firewall has such an option

"Cannot copy #filename#: The specified network name is no longer available" The title is "Error copying File or Folder" and the only option is "OK"

When I try to ping the other computer (from both pcs), the connection times out. When I ping the router with my pc, it gets a reply, but with the second PC (the one which freezes sometimes) there is also a time out.

I belive the network card somehow stops working until a reset.

I try sending the files by copying them off PC2 though My Network Places on PC1.

Does the amount of ram affect file transfer, since PC2 has 192mb of ram (and it's not good ram either)?

The pc only seems to freeze when sending files over 100mb now, that's with firewalls and AV disabled.

I've gone though the router menus and nothing has helped.

Thanks for the responses

from http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/1023402038

Greetings,
I was having the same problem as you, but I think I got it fixed, I tryed the patch I found on microsofts web and it did no good, so did some more looking and read about a guy who found that his nic was bad which caused the problem, so, I went to the command line and typed the following...ping 192.168.0.1 -n 25 -l 65500 ping /? if you wand info on what that is btw..

well, on one system I droped around 8% of my packets, second system I dropped 0% packets, so I switched cables with the computer that droped none but still had the problem, so I switched network cards in my computer (the one dropping packets) and the problem seems to be fixed, I ran the same ping command with the new nic and lost 0% of my packets

hence I would look at your cables, and nic's
good luck
Ridgid

Had the same problem at our house. We replaced an old Linksys V2 LNE100TX with a new V5.1 LNE100TX in one of the two machines and the problem went away. During file sharing was about the only time we had a problem although we sometimes cound not see each other on the network, too. I originally didn't suspect a problem with the NIC as we could both download from the Internet, get/send email with attachments, browse web sites, play online games, etc. The only thing that made it suspicious is that sometime the NIC would "go away" and we had to unplug the network cable and plug it back in to get the link light to come on. It did that maybe once a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom