File sharing via wireless router Win2K/XP pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

mskup

Beta member
I recently installed a Linksys wireless G router . The router is connected via network card on the win2K computer and wireless on the XP pro . Internet sharing no problem . Ping between the two no problem . File sharing enabled with all the permissions.

The PROBLEM : The computers don't see each other > Each computer doesn't display the other and I can't access the files of the other computer .

If you have any idea plse help . As i am a novice , please in easy language

Thanks

sounds like a firewall setting to me... make sure you add your network IP address in you firewall in both computers so they allow access. let me know?

Thanks yr reply , but no firewall and the firewall in XP is disabled .

Any other suggestions ,

Thanks

Do the computers have static or dynamic IP's? If the IP's are static, you can still map them by right-clicking on the Network Places, then in Map Network Drive you can type \\IP Address\drive or folder to connect

I had to do that on my computers at home, because they wouldn't see each other.

Thanks for all your replies , but it doesn't work unless I do something wrong .
Yes I have a static Ip address and I tried to map the network :
By right clicking I got a drive assigned and underneath for the folder I typed in the W2K computer \\IP adress for the XPcomputer\
I got as a reply : "The network path could not be found "

Did I do something wrong ?

Please help !!

I am having the same exact problem and I've just about exhausted all of my options. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Did you put the drive letter after the last backslash? If not, that's the problem, because it found the computer, but didn't know what to share after that. Say your XP computer has an IP address of 192.168.1.5, and you want the C drive, you type \\192.168.1.5\c or maybe it's \\192.168.1.5\c$

I know the dollar sign works on NT machines and 2000 machines, but I don't know about XP machines.

Hey Mskup,

When you set up the network it's a good idea to use Windows XP home network setup utility.

It should be at Start, Control Panel, Network Connection, On top left

Just for elimination on almost any home network even if you connect the computers together and set File and Print Sharing on the LAN (NIC) connection they won't allow you access till you share out some folders or files.

Additionally on Windows XP you have to run the Home Network Setup to get the option to Share this folder on the network since putting it in the regular shared documents just allows other users of that computer to use the files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom