File Sharing with our server : Coast to Coast

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncstand

Solid State Member
Hi all.

I want to share a file on our server with our fantastic Sales Director. Our server is in New York. Our Sales Director is in Oregon.

I have a Remote Desktop Connection set-up, the Sales Director can hop on a computer in our office right now. I do not want to keep buying computers in our office, so that our employees located around the country can log on with the laptop we also bought them.

We need a direct connection. Oregon Laptop > New York Server

Here is a visual:
http://uploadingit.com/file/rfwmq2guje35njs2/FileSharingNetwork.jpg

We have invested in our Server & I do not want to pay a monthly or annual fee to keep a file on a 'Cloud Service'.

Has someone on this forum done this? A general explanation would be great. A list of equipment required so that I can assess the investment would be wonderful. A quote for such a project would be sublime.

You should setup a VPN connection so that he can access your network from his home / office and access shared files.

Server 2008 also offers a virtual desktop in which a user could log into a virtual desktop which would have the shared file (a lot more configuring involved here).

RDP is not a secure way to share files across the cloud.

The easiest solution is to setup FTP. If you are using Windows Server, the OS comes with FTP build-in and with better security features. There are FTP server being sold and open source that are free of charge. You can specify which folder to be shared, setup user name and password, giving you more control of security. No other hardware equipment is require.

Free:
Server FileZilla - Server Download
Client FileZilla - Client Download

By default FTP does not encrypt data, so if you have sensitive information you should consider using the SSL/TLS features that comes with filezilla.

You should setup a VPN connection so that he can access your network from his home / office and access shared files.

Server 2008 also offers a virtual desktop in which a user could log into a virtual desktop which would have the shared file (a lot more configuring involved here).

I second this. FTP is only going to allow remote users to get and put files onto the FTP server whereas VPN will allow remote users access to all the resources on the network as if they were in the office. It also has security built in (meaning you don't have to concern yourself with deploying secure FTP everywhere).

Thank you Lex Luethar. I explored a VPN, and continue to keep the idea on my list. I am told that using a VPN connection is SLOWER then using the Remote Dektop Connection offered by Windows.

I am currently running Windows Small Business Server 2008. If the Virtual Desktop is a new option to explore, I will look into this too.

Thank you.

Hi Law.

If Windows SBS 2008 has an FTP Server that can allow me to work in a file in real-time or similar to Real-Time Collaborative Editing then that would be fantastic.

I know that I can't work on a file with the two FTP sites I already have which store our website files. If SBS has an FTP file sharing server set-up, then it sounds like a smart idea.

I will look into this too.

(Like the avatar icon. Sexy Beast.)

I have to put this project aside for the night.

Kmote seems to be telling me that VPN is a smarter connection.... thank you for your thoughts... It's ensuring to hear someone push VPN as it was the first idea I came up with.

I believe my Sales Direcotor only needs access to a single folder in the East Coast office containing our Sales/Invoicing file which would run on the program that is installed on the computer in the West Coast office.

For now I will push to explore the following:
1. Research the fastest VPN connection I can have with our equipment/internet service
2. Look into Virtual Desktop via SBS2008
3. Look into SBS2008 built-in FTP for LIVE file sharing... if they have it, I want to hook it up!

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I look forward to posting the amazing solution with any helpful notes for others who are interested in doing the same.

Pardon the Plug: If your on the West Coast Aug 12-14 head to Sci Foo... prepare to have your mind blown! Home : Science Foo Camp I won't make it out there, but I anticipate some great collaborative work that will hopefully inspire us all.

Ya with what you are wanting VPN will suffice. Yes VPN is slower, but if we are talking about one or two files to access it's the best way to go IMO.

vpn is slower than what?

what we really need to know is how much data we are talking about and what the end user is going to do with it. rdp is the best solution, actually work on the server. depending on the file types however, that may not be feasible. so then we talk about vpn, but encryption increases overhead on both sides and again, depending on file size, may not be viable. then there is the collaboration aspect, which brings sharepoint into the equation but adds complexity and an overall desire to kick kittens (me no likey sharepoint).

so in the end, i say google docs.

In response to Mr. Luethar: How is it that directly connecting to a file can be slower than a Remote Desktop Connection? It just seems contrary to logic:

(1) VPN
East Coast Server File > VPN > West Coast Computer running the File on a Local Program

(2) Remote Desktop Connection
East Coast Server File > Networked Computer Running the File on a local Program > Remote Desktop Connection > West Coast Computer

To InfiniteLoop: I am being told the VPN connection is slower than a Remote Desktop Connection... my issue with this concept is outlined above. I added an illustration to my query, http://uploadingit.com/file/rfwmq2guje35njs2/FileSharingNetwork.jpg

The file on the East Coast Server is accessed by two computers on the local network, "Admin I" & "Admin II". The File they access is a multi-user file. We can have many people working in it at once on many computers. I want the West Coast "Sales I" to access this file just like the East Coasters do. So, I need LIVE access, Google Docs won't cut it. Unless they have some new real-time storage space that I have not heard about. Is this what you are trying to tell me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom