File sharing help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

colson1985

Baseband Member
Hey all I'm new here but work in the industry so plan on posting here a lot more! This question is about my home network. I have a windows 7 laptop and a windows XP pro desktop. I can share files perfect when my laptop is wired into the router but when it is wireless Windows prompts me for a network security login. I don't remember setting anything like this up. I have tried a lot of different things but none seem to work! Any idea what credentials it is asking for? or how to get around this?

Thanks for the help!!!! :thumbsup:

Has no one had this issue?? :cry: Does anyone know if I should start checking my router settings or does it sounds more like a Windows conflict? Any opinions will help!

It is in the Router Settings. I have the same setup. XP Laptop and Win7 Desktop and i have no issue sharing files when the laptop is working on WiFi.

Looking more into it. I find that if I have my XP desktop on before I boot up my windows 7 laptop it works fine.

|Did you look at the Manage Network connections?|

I don't understand what you want to know. I have been in my network connections and have messed with a ton of settings. I basically turned off any protection again sharing in my home network settings. Not the public.

KSoD,

Any idea what kind of router setting it could be? Or an option I should be looking for. I dunno if SSL has anything to do with network sharing.

Thanks again for the help!

That sounds like a Browse Master issue. Are you using the same workgroup (XP) as homegroup (7)? You could try this registry change on the W7 computer:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> SYSTEM >> CurrentControlSet >> Control >> Lsa
Create a new "DWORD" value with the following properties:
Name: is set to "NAME: LmCompatibilityLevel" without quotes.
Double click on the "Name" and set the "VALUE: 1 " (Decimal).
The setting will need the PC to restart for the steps to take effect.

Yes that is the laptop name(ASUS). It is the local machine I'm on trying to connect.

The very strange thing about this is if I try going in a different way sometimes it will not prompt the password. I noticed also if the PC is on and I reset my laptop it usually fixes the issue 90% of the time.

Very strange. I'm surprised more people haven't had this issue. I just realized that I haven't tried updating my network adapter drivers. I will try when I get home and post the results.

Tried finding updated drives for the network card. The manufactures website didn't have any to download! Windows says the driver is up to date...

I'm out of ideas...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom