File sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncan

In Runtime
Two pc's both running xp pro.. Both connect to an adsl router modem/lan switch for internet access - but having probs connecting them to each other to share files. Both IP'sare assigned by router by dhcp. I have run network set up on both machines and selected the option to share files etc. Both part of MSHOME workgroup, but when i go into network connections neither machine can see the other one. I have checked that drives/folders that i want are shared..

Please help.. pain in the ass transferrig files across using a usb harddrive.

Well i wouldent use USB, i would of used MSN MSG OR AOL AIM and DL/UL from that. I suggest getting a Network book. Besides getting a quick answer, the book can teach you alot.

I have several network books - none of them cover my prob - as far as not using usb - can you explain how i would use MSN to send files across my lan. The pc's can reach each other, as ping works, but i would like to use the home network on xp to share files..

not normally, but i have turned them off and tried it aswell. I don't really know a lot about firewalls - so this might be a problem. Can u suggest anything ?

duncan said:
not normally, but i have turned them off and tried it aswell. I don't really know a lot about firewalls - so this might be a problem. Can u suggest anything ?

Well in Norton, there is an option to setup home networking so that the transfer won't be blocked when you are trasferring files from one computer to another. See if there's an option on your Windows firewall to setup home networking.

-Dan The Man

can't see this option in norton - can you describe the location in the menus please.

Oh, so now you have Norton and Windows firewalls? There's your problem! You can only run one firewall at a time.

But in Norton, I think you can find it under options but I'm not sure, it's been a while since I've used Norton Personal Firewall 2003.

-Dan The Man

one pc has norton antivirus and the other has norton internet security - the pc with antivirus has windows firewall because there isn't a firewall with norton - the other pc which has norton internet security uses the norton firewall and the windows one is off because i've been told that the norton one is better, so there is only 1 firewall on each pc - but they aren't the same.. is this a prob, not sure, but i have turned all firewalls off and get same problem..

OK, follow these steps if you haven't already:

My Computer > Right-Click C Drive > Sharing.

Once there, make sure that "Share this folder" is selected and set the permissions to allow all users to access it. Also, make sure that "Maximum allowed" under User Limit is selcted. After that, click on New Share and enter in any name. Do this on both computers and tell me if it works.

-Dan The Man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom