fibre channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott_madison1

Solid State Member
hey guys, im new here. anyways, i enjoy computers, well atleast when they work the way thier supposed to...

so anyways, a friend of mine got me a SCSI server with 10 36GB seagate cheetah drives in it. the thing is it runs on fibre channel.

he gave me an emulex LP7000 card and i put that in my computer and updated the driver. im running win2k also if this helps.

so i hook it up running from the host port on the back of the server to the card and it doesnt seem like its even spinning the drives up. and hence i also cant see the drives when the computer is on.

ive never messed with fibre channel before, and im pretty new to SCSI... can anyone shed some light on this situation?

the guy had it working before i took it from his house. im not sure with scsi, but every drive spins up independently right? it doesnt do that, the fans kick on, theres some blinking lights and thats it.

honestly not sure what raid implamentation is, ive only dealt with eide. ive got a fiber optic cable running from the server to an emulex lp7000 card in my computer.

40 views and nothin... btw, if anyone knows anything about fibre channel, or thinks they might be able to help me out, i can send short video clips of my set-up to your email. any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

matt

RAID - Random Array of Independent Disks.

Theirs 5 types but 2 are old and no longer used.

RAID0 -[JBOD]
(Just a Bunch Of Disks) which uses all drivers compained to make one large virtual drive. so if you have a 20gig,30gig, and a 7gig, it would look like you have one 57gig drive. The bonus is speed. The downside if that if any of your drives die the hole array is dead.

next we have RAID1 -[ Drive Mirroring ]
basicly you get atleast 2 drives of the same capasity, so say we have two 20gig drives raid one. It would be shown as 1 20gig drive and the two drives would be constently mirroring the data on each other.

and then we have RAID5 - [ Indentpendent disk with parity blocks]
basicly this is scalable raid 1 with a hot spare so if you have 3 20gig drives you would have 40gigs with 1 spare, if you added another drive you would have 60gigs with a hotspare. Thats the basics, a little too simple to some but good enuff. Hang on sneaking out of my desk for a coffee i think about your array later ;)

awesome, thanks for the info, id heard of raid mirroring before, and the raid5 but not the JOBD very interesting. I noticed that you run SATA. the guy that gave me this system just got 2, 250 Gb DSATA drives, that definately sounds cool to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom