a few problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

weewun

In Runtime
i just got my PC online by going through a belkin router. i installed the dongle, then AOL. when i open AOL i can browse the web (in aol). but internet explorer just wont work!

also, the router states that it works up to 200ft away, and when im a mere 15 meters away from it (about 50ft) it's signal strength is onl at 27%, and will randomley cut out for a split second causing aol to disconnect and for me to lose everything that it is doing.

another problem, that im guessing is because of my internet connection, is that MSN messanger wont work! it says that there is either a problem with my internet connection or their server. i am ale to log on from different computers.

if anyone can help with any of these ot would be much appreciated. cheers

ps. attached it a copy of my dxdiag

well, did you try to update the firmware on the router and your PCI card?
also, when you configured it, make sure you go to internet explorer and go to option to setup the connection, that might be the problem with the IE not working. Since you were able to go online by AOL. you should be able to get online on IE

update firmware is my best suggestion for the disconnection problem

Go to the manufacturers website and look for your model of the router and look for firmware upgrades. they should tell you how to update your firmware.

just remembered, it works fine on my mums laptop, installed with xp home... but just not mine! would the firmware make a difference?

Updating firmware may cause a problem on the other computer which is working fine.Before upgrading firmware try to change the channel of your router from the web page of the router(change it to channel 11) and see if range increases.

Or stop using AOL, and get a better router :D AOL has built in filters to limit the type of surfing (parental controls). Make sure first of all that your security setting isn't child or something similar to that. Make sure that IE is your default browser as well, AOL takes over all internet functions when it's installed. As far as messenger is concerened, this may be an issue between AOL's chat engine and MSN's. MSN messenger is a core program and doesn't like it when another program is the default (this applies to 90% of MS's software). If none of this work, follow these steps:

Find large hammer
Set computer in a well ventilated area
Strike computer with large hammer until it does what you want it to do.

Viola!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom