Fax Machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Does a fax machine absolutely require a dial up phone connection? Or is there any way that I can use my existing broadband connection to use the fax machine?

Note - I'm using a Linksys router with Comcast Cable service, for what it's worth.

Jayce,

Yes. It requires a phone line and a dial tone. You need a Fax Modem. NIC cards can not send faxes.

Cheers,
Mak

Mak - Thanks for the response.

We have our phone service through Comcast. Would that interfere having the fax machine work through the broadband modem? On google, I read somewhere that fax machines cannot communicate with broadband devices of any sort - that's why I drew a blank and posted.

I'm sure we can acquire a cheap PCI 56k modem. In fact, I may have one laying around.

But, if we can just use our home line for the fax machine, and whenever we send faxes just kick the calls offline for a few seconds till the fax sends, that's completely do-able. I just have no clue how to set up a fax machine in a broadband network.

You may be able to fax using the phone connection of your modem. You would connect the fax machine to the same RJ11 jack that you connect your phone to. A dial-up modem doesn't do anything for you since there would still be no analog line to connect it to.

Jayce,

You are right. You will need to have your modem hooked up and send then faces right thru the phone line. It will force you to cut calls for a few mintues.

But my question is this. Do you have a all in one printer than can fax? If so you should be able to just hook it up to the phone line without the PC. that would be a much better solution.

But if you have to use the PC make sure you use a Fax Modem. Not any normal modem will do. You will need a specific Fax Modem to do this with.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom