Fast internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave31

Beta member
Hey everyone names Dave, Im not to tech savy so spare me overly complex explanations..... anyways my curiousity has promted me to make this thread, I was wondering what the fastest internet available to the public is? I have heard of tier 1, tier 3, and i think OC-3 (not exactly sure what these are) but heard thier fast. Anyways is there any company out there that provides these services? If so whats it cost? Can these high speed internets be setup for a wireless internet feature? If so how efficient is the wireless setup? ( how long of range? and how many computers can be effectively ran off the same wireless router?) I know it sounds like a lot to ask out of curiosity but im interested and would appreciate any knowledge you guys could share.

welcometotf3dj1.jpg

Hey Dave,

The Tier 1 or 3, is probably too expensive, for the average consumer, and mainly for businesses. They are probably the fastest, but not really available to the public.

The fastest I've seen, is Verizon's FiOS. Heres some packages and prices, that they offer:
http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerfios/packages+and+prices/packages+and+prices.htm

They're not available everywhere, but it wouldn't hurt to check. They are expanding though.

They do provide wireless connectivity. But I would always prefer wired connectivity, as it's less interference, compared to wireless. But yes, they do provide it, and I think it's as many computers you have, that are capable of wireless internet, that can connect to a wireless router.

Yea FIOS looks great, but im in dallas, and they have it in the 14 suburbs around dallas...but not actually IN dallas. So i think im going to go with roadrunner 10mb(bit)ps package, which seems fast enough. What are you doing? if you mean fast surfing, you definately dont need t1 and up, (from what i heard t3 is just like two t1 lines combined so same dl speed just can supply 2x comptuers) but if your doing serious downloading ie movies and such then you might want to get around 5+ mbps connection.

To find your dl speed, devide the mbps number by 8. IE 10mbps is 10/8 = kbs so you would have 1.25mb(byte)per second

FIOS is awesome, i love my 5/2mb line.

and that stinks taintedplay, as here in plano its offered. its probably going to take a little longer to put it throughout dallas as plano doesn't have all the infrastructure dallas does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom