Extending wireless network

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex381

Beta member
Hi,

I currently have a wireless network in my house, but the signal strength upstairs isn't great so am trying to figure out the best way to boost the network whilst spending very little cash!

I currently have a D-Link DSL-2640R Broadband Wireless G ADSL2+ Router wired to the phone line. This is the router that currently supplies my wireless network.

I also have a spare Belkin ADSL Modem with Wirelss G Router (model# F5D7632-4).

Is there anyway I can connect the 2 so that i can have one plugged in upstairs talking to the one that connects to the internet downstairs? My PS3 is upstairs and I'm hoping to connect this to the router upstairs via an ethernet cable rather than by wireless.

I hope all that makes sense. Any questions then please ask. Please be aware that whilst I do have some knowledge of computers / networking, I'm still a novice!!!

Thanking you in advance.

If you configure the second router so that it belongs to the same network and uses the other router as its default gateway, that should solve your problems. You'll just have to make sure that you don't allow it to distribute DHCP addresses (or if you allow it, make sure it's not conflicting with the other router. E.g. first router shares DHCP pool of 192.168.1.100-150, second can go from 192.168.1.151-200)

Alternatively, the second router might have a 'repeater' mode.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell neither router has the ability to be a repeater, so I think that option is out.

Sorry for possibly asking really stupid questions, but how do I configure the second router to belong to the same network as the first? and how do I make it use the first router as it's default gateway?

Thanks,

You have to go into its config page (usually done by entering the IP address in a web browser) and set its IP address to something in the same subnet as the 1st router. E.g. if your main router has the IP address 192.168.1.254, give the second router the IP address 192.168.1.253, and set its default gateway to 192.168.1.254
If the router came with a manual it should be able to give you specific steps on how to change its IP address, etc. If not, wait a bit and I'll find it online and post up more specific instructions. You'll have to wait though, because I'm at work and things are about to get extremely busy lol.

Here is a link to the Belkin's manual.
http://www.belkin.com/support/setup_guides/F5D7632flash.exe

You will need to set the Belkin router's IP address to one that agrees with the D-Link range but not duplicate the address. The manual for the D-Link router says it's set to 192.168.1.1.
ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-2640r/DSL-2640R_QIG_v1.0.pdf
The manual for the Belkin says it's default is 192.168.2.1. This means you need to change the Belkin to, say, 192.168.1.2 mask 255.255.255.0 and a default gateway of (the D-Link router) of 192.168.1.1. Once you've changed the address you will need to release/renew the computer's IP address or restart Windows on it. You also need to set the wireless SSID, channel and encryption to be the same on both routers. I don't see in the Belkin manual whether it has the ability to run in bridge mode but look for that if setting these things doesn't allow access through it. You also need to turn off DHCP on the Belkin router like SoulPhire said.

If that doesn't work then you will likely need to spend some money on a wireless bridge. This will give you an ethernet connection to the wireless network for your PS3.

This is a separate issue to the poor signal quality upstairs. You could try different channels in case you're getting interference from other wireless signals such as a neighbor's network. You might be able to manage by putting the router/bridge in one part of the room upstairs and run an Ethernet cable around the edge of the room to where the PS3 is. You would have to experiment to see if different locations in the room get a better signal or not. If this doesn't work then you either have to spend yet more money on a Wireless-N router and wireless adapter for whatever you're connecting to it wirelessly or buy a wireless G range extender. There is a D-Link product: DWL-G710. You would have to locate it somewhere in between the existing D-Link router and the upstairs room. Once it is attached wirelessly to the existing D-Link router it will act as if you are directly connected to the D-Link router. A manual is supplied with the unit. You will need to configure the computer you're using to configure the extender to a static IP so if you're not sure how to do that you can ask here and I'll give you that info too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom