Ethernet Switch

Balolozano

Beta member
I am going to put several routers in my house (I do need them because I don't like wifi range extenders and my house is 1400m^2 with cement walls a basement and two floors.), but I wanted to know if I could connect a router to an ethernet switch or if I need to connect the routers directly to the main router.

P.S.
I get my TV and phone service through ethernet cables connected to the router, would this still work through an ethernet switch?

Yes you can connect routers to a switch - just make sure you disable DHCP so that the routers branching from the switch don't try and assign out IP's while the main router is trying to assign IP's as well.

Yes you can connect routers to a switch - just make sure you disable DHCP so that the routers branching from the switch don't try and assign out IP's while the main router is trying to assign IP's as well.
Thanks for the reply, so there wouldn't be a problem with the way ethernet switches work? I had read that they learn where something is connected and where its not. When it does it sends the information to only that port. I don't know if that could be a problem when I connect a device to different routers/ports in the house.

Wireless access points are cheaper, and often better at what you're wanting to do.
(For example I've seen some routers that are awkward to set up as access points, others that won't work properly without their dhcp turned on, sent out route updates etc and generally act like a real pain in the ***.

Access points are just quicker and easier, the results are often better too!

And I would recommend TP-Link brand. Excellent bang for the buck and simple to set up. I've been using them for years and no problems.

I did that to an old Linksys and it was quick and easy to flash it on. Ran a lot better after.

Back
Top Bottom