ethernet split

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
several months ago, i bought this RJ45 1x2 Ethernet Connector Splitter 1 to 2 sockets Internet Cable Cat 5 6 - Newegg.com
to try to create both a cabled connection for 2 computers, and a wi fi connection for the kids. i have tried several times to connect this up, but the only way i can get the system to work is by running the cables thru the router first, then i can split the cabled computers. i want to be able to turn off the wi fi at night, because the kids have gotten up after their bed time on school nights, and then its hard to get them back to sleep. because their minds are running at 60mb/sec. did i buy the wrong thing to use in order to do what i want?

Yes that's wrong.

You need a switch - which the router already has; you should be able to just disable the wifi through the router's web GUI - as well as on a schedule (you can turn off internet access for specific devices or all devices during certain time periods in most routers nowadays).

hmm, i did not know that. i will have to find the manual, and dig into it. that would be a lot easier than tangling with cables. thanks, again.

What's the make and model of the router? We may be able to guide you through it if we've messed with that particular one before.

sorry it has taken a while to get back to this. i looked into setting this up in my router. it did not take long to figure out i am way over my head trying to program this. it looks to me like i have to know which computer is which. and not all of them are even listed, do they have to be on and running? my daughters (WiFi only connected) is the only computer in the bunch that i am sure of who's computer it is. my wife and i have the exact same model of laptop, only one shows up, and it shows up as " LENOVO-PC" so which one it is is only a guess. it also shows an android device, which could be either my sons phone, or my daughters tablet. the 1 desktop that shows up is listed as " DESKTOP-KDGUE70". if they do have to be on and running, does the computer need to be in operational mode? because i do not know the password to my sons computer. he changed it, and will not tell anyone what it is. he is the one that initially set up the router, because i was having a tough time figuring it out.
my router is a D LINK DIR-655 the first thing i did was check for updates to the firmware, but there have not been any updates since 2014. another odd thing it when i first logged on to the router, the clock shows that it is still 2014!? so i dont know what is up with that. i did click thru the tabs to see if i could find a place that had the ports listed, or if a computer was associated with what port. but i could not find that. it does show a different IP address for each computer or device, but again, i am not sure which is which.

sorry it has taken a while to get back to this. i looked into setting this up in my router. it did not take long to figure out i am way over my head trying to program this. it looks to me like i have to know which computer is which. and not all of them are even listed, do they have to be on and running? my daughters (WiFi only connected) is the only computer in the bunch that i am sure of who's computer it is. my wife and i have the exact same model of laptop, only one shows up, and it shows up as " LENOVO-PC" so which one it is is only a guess. it also shows an android device, which could be either my sons phone, or my daughters tablet. the 1 desktop that shows up is listed as " DESKTOP-KDGUE70". if they do have to be on and running, does the computer need to be in operational mode? because i do not know the password to my sons computer. he changed it, and will not tell anyone what it is. he is the one that initially set up the router, because i was having a tough time figuring it out.
my router is a D LINK DIR-655 the first thing i did was check for updates to the firmware, but there have not been any updates since 2014. another odd thing it when i first logged on to the router, the clock shows that it is still 2014!? so i dont know what is up with that. i did click thru the tabs to see if i could find a place that had the ports listed, or if a computer was associated with what port. but i could not find that. it does show a different IP address for each computer or device, but again, i am not sure which is which.

You should be able to see the IP addresses listed in the 'connected clients' screen (or equivalent). Usually it shows the computer name and IP (as well as some other info such as MAC addresses).

You'll need to identify the IP's (better yet, IP and MAC) of each device that's in the connected clients window. Do the parental controls work by IP or MAC address? If it's by IP..you may want to set your router to forcefully assign a specific MAC to an IP always, so they can't just change their internal IP and get around your block.

Also don't forget to change the router admin password if your son knows it and you're trying to set parental controls.

I feel like my kids (when I eventually have them lol) are going to hate me trying to get around security...lol.

the parental controls i did was in each computer / tablet when we first set them up. my son is just to darn good with computers, and i am sure he has removed any i put in place some time ago. they are both really good kids, my biggest concern is keeping them off from chat rooms and things like that where some pervert tries to track them down to harm them. i try to keep an eye on that. my son has zero interest in that, but my daughter (being a typical girl) does. so i pop into her room at random intervals to make sure she stays off from them. i do have the password for her computer, and check where she has been from time to time. but that android tablet, i am lost. i have no idea how to check that. i am lucky to get past the password. i made sure to buy her a windows phone.
so, anyway, we will worry about parental controls after i figure out how to get into the router. i went and turned on my sons computer, (desktop) but it did not show up. so apparently i am not in the correct spot. i am going to have to sit down and read the manual cover to cover, and see if enough of it sinks in to get this done. hopefully i can figure out how to do the parental controls at the same time. if not,i will have to make another post.

That's why I suggested setting the parental controls on the router itself, so you don't necessarily have to do it on each device itself.

well, i made some changes. if things work as they are supposed to, the router will shut off @ 10:10 pm every week night. i could not find a way to select a specific computer or user. so everyone will have to abide by it. which kind of sucks for the wife and i. but boy wonder can not tear himself away from his computer anymore. and he can not fail school. if i get desperate, i can use my computer in the basement. i will just have to unplug the router, and connect straight into the modem. normally, my wife is asleep by 10 pm anyway.

So, just to throw this out there as well... you should really consider using Microsoft Family Safety on their computers (if they're Windows machines). Everybody logs in using a Microsoft Account (works on Windows 7 and up) and you setup yourself as the parent. You can then control total screen time per day, and set times that the PC will log them out on a by day basis.

I think the neatest part of this is that it will also email you when the child requests something they don't have access to, allowing you to check it out first. You can then approve it as a one-time thing or permanently. You can also approve it on their computer if you're at home, but the remote ability is quite fantastic for when you're not.

I've used this quite a few times when doing setups for others as well as testing it at home. It works quite wonderfully.

Back
Top Bottom