Ethernet Problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouchable1991

Solid State Member
hey guys, I'm new here so if you're helping, please go easy on the advanced vocab:p

I have a problem with my ethernet, I was using a router and getting my connection from there through ethernet and one day when i came back from school, the connection randomly stopped, I tried many solutions such as connecting this computer directly from the modem with the router but nothing worked. But then I tried the same connection that I had just taken out in a different computer but it worked fine. I am currently online using the USB from the modem but it keeps screwing up, going to blue screens etc. but none of this happened when I was using the ethernet connection, can someone please help me out on either these blue screens or the ethernet problem?? thanks a lot:)

You should start by scanning for virus's and spyware...then if that doesn't solve the issue call your ISP and have them trouble shoot your connection.

it's an ongoing problem though. My hard drive was pretty old so I just bought a new 160gb Western Digital hard drive, so it's completely clean, no viruses. There is no problem with the connection, because it works on other computers, I think it might be a problem with the computer itself, thanks for the reply, any suggestions anyone?

You might consider replacing your ethernet card or cable. One of the other might be causing the connection problem. To verify that the card is working properly, check Device manager to see if it's install and listed there, open up command prompt and do a ping 127.0.0.1 this will test the TCP/IP stack of the card. If you get a reply then the card is good.

To test the cable, ping it's own IP address or the default gateway. You can see your IP address and DG if you do ipconfig /all in the command prompt. This will test your cable. No reply means bad cable, if you reply that means good. OK

well I kno for sure that it's not the cable, because I have four or five cables and I used them all, nothing seemed to work, I'm thinking it's the ethernet card, I'll keep trying, thanks!

Untouchable, Law provided 2 VERY important things for you to check... have you checked them?

1.) As Law had asked, did you go into device manager to verify that the card is installed? (ALSO: have you tried updating the drivers??)

2.) Have you tried pinging the NIC card's loopback address (127.0.0.1) as Law had suggested??

First, get to a command prompt.....
START > RUN > type in 'CMD' > you should now have a command prompt open... (a black MS-DOS window)...

From here, type 'PING 127.0.0.1' (without the 's) and let us know what happens.

Here is another question for you. Have you installed ANY software just before the internet stopped working? Perhaps ZONEALARM, or something similar?

Who has access to the router that you are using? Perhaps someone is pulling your leg, and doing MAC filtering, so that the router won't communicate with your NIC card...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom