Ethernet Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aloki

Beta member
I am using an onboard ethernet port (motherboard is a Asus A7N8X-LA and I'm using the nforce2 drivers downloaded from here.)

Windows detects this and says that it's working properly and it even detects my modem when I plug it in but isn't able to get an IP address.

I am also unable to access my routers admin page when it's connected by ethernet, although my DS and PSP can both connect to the internet.

Any ideas on what I should do?

Edit: Forgot to mention, USB works fine.

Welcome,
Have you got Zone Alarm or any other security software installed? can you ping a webpage an get a return?

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have any type of security since, I've reformatted recently (after this problem started.) Tried pinging Google but cmd said it couldn't find google.com.

Maybe this might be helpful:
ipnp9.jpg

Hello,

Have you gone into a command prompt and tried to flush your DNS? Have you tried to do a IPConfig release and renew?

Cheers,
Mak

^ in case you don't know how do do those things...
(all in the command propmt)

To flush you dns:
ipconfig /flushdns

To release and renew:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Yeah, I've tried that but it is still unable to acquire an IP address.

Since I know it's not my modem (Since when I connect it to my router my DS and PSP can get onto the internet.) I don't think it's the settings either since I've formatted after this problems started.

Should I just buy a new network card?

Have you tried using a known good Ethernet cable?

I don't think it's the wires since I can connect to the wifi using my PSP and DS when using the router.

Can you ping your Router's ip address (which should also be the default gateway on your pc)?

Times out

Code:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

If any other hosts are connecting via an ethernet cable to the router, unplug the cable from wahtever host it's plugged into, and plug it into the pc with 'problems'.
That way we have a router port AND ethernet cable which are guarenteed working, and can thus rule out (with certainty) the router and cable as possible faults.

If after you've tried that and the connection between the pc and router still doesn't work, I'd see if I could get ahold of a pci lan card. Just borrow one from a mate, from work, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom