ethernet linking P4 w/ P3 XP's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are network properties for the card set to obtain ip automatically?

without booting the P3 up again and plugging her back into the router i am unsure; i would hazard a 'yes' - the card got as far as the router and found it could get no further. i then visited forums until someone flagged me up the correct connection code. i typed that into the pop up box but then it just started going round in circles, there must be an extra something missing in addition to the correct code which is barring the P3 from the internet: the P3 used to be a dial up pc and worked flawlessly - broadband ought to enhance it, not close it down? but as i said, Microsoft seemed to know all about the issue and how to fix it, so i am suspicious that it is an engineered glitch; although the P3 is XP is was upgraded from Win98SE.

without booting the P3 up again and plugging her back into the router i am unsure; i would hazard a 'yes' - the card got as far as the router and found it could get no further. i then visited forums until someone flagged me up the correct connection code. i typed that into the pop up box but then it just started going round in circles, there must be an extra something missing in addition to the correct code which is barring the P3 from the internet: the P3 used to be a dial up pc and worked flawlessly - broadband ought to enhance it, not close it down? but as i said, Microsoft seemed to know all about the issue and how to fix it, so i am suspicious that it is an engineered glitch; although the P3 is XP is was upgraded from Win98SE.

okay - have got the old girl up and running again - this is what i get when i try to connect:

dan-connectivity-23112009.jpg

does this help solve the riddle please?

thanks

could it be the server names are out of date - nothing to do with the ethernet connection as such?

Does the p3 computer get an ip address from the router? from a command prompt type ipconfig and press enter. Should get a number like 192.168.1.105 if you get 169.x.x.x then it is not connecting.

What OS?

You can always download drivers and burn them to disk or use a usb drive from another computer.

ip address; 192.xxx.x.x
subnet mask: 255.xxx.xxx.x
default gateway: 192.xxx.x.x

so that looks healthy?

ip address; 192.xxx.x.x
subnet mask: 255.xxx.xxx.x
default gateway: 192.xxx.x.x

so that looks healthy?

managed to save the program i'm using to cd - loaded that into the P3

then installed the usb interface disc + hardware ~ ok. downloaded latest driver to key drive then loaded that into P3 - ok

tested program + software, all working in synch - all i really need now is a long, long USB EasyLink cable to shuttle files between the P3 and P4

still would be great to solve the ethernet mystery for the P3 though - most of the diagnostic is in the green, there can't be much preventing the P3 from accessing broadband?

need a new mouse + monitor - then its all set ;)

many thanks

kr

It should be from what I can I see, please do this for me ok ?

1.Open command prompt, type ipconfig /all (COPY THIS INTO COMMAND PROMPT).
2. Press the print screen button on your keyboard, paste this into microsoft paint, save as jpeg or png.
3.Host the image with ImageShack® - Image Hosting and post the picture so that way I can I get a look at whats going on and me or hefe can help you out any further.

It should be from what I can I see, please do this for me ok ?

1.Open command prompt, type ipconfig /all (COPY THIS INTO COMMAND PROMPT).
2. Press the print screen button on your keyboard, paste this into microsoft paint, save as jpeg or png.
3.Host the image with ImageShack® - Image Hosting and post the picture so that way I can I get a look at whats going on and me or hefe can help you out any further.

ok - sorry - this way's easier at the moment cos i only just got the P3 out of moth balls and it is unconnected to anything right now and, anyway, here 'tis:-

dan02.jpg

all i did was remove name / ip details - all the rest is there: does this help please?

Yes from what I'm viewing you should be connected to the internet and be ready to go.

Have you ever thought about looking into cisco's Network magic for home users ?
I think it would help you a little or alot with what you want to do with your file sharing needs.

For file sharing you should be good to go.

Try to ping another computer on your network. Get its ip address and from the old computer in a command prompt type:
ping 192.168.1.101
inserting the ip of the other computer and you should get a reply.

If so make sure the two computers are in the same workgroup, share folders you want to share and you should be ready.

As for internet you may need to repair tcp/ip and winsock. Perhaps a dns flush as well. What service pack are you running?

Yes from what I'm viewing you should be connected to the internet and be ready to go.

Have you ever thought about looking into cisco's Network magic for home users ?
I think it would help you a little or alot with what you want to do with your file sharing needs.

it would be so great to get the P3 online again after so long - i cleaned the hard drive out ages ago so there's loads of storage on board and it is carrying its max Ram - such a shame to let it stand idle when there is a good use i can put it to

Cisco's Network Magic: don't know what this is but will investigate with thanks :)

the reason for file-share is, music is my hobby, and i need a 'quiet room' for mic work, whereas i do the main music direct through pc, so ambient sound isn't an issue: i want to use the P3 for mic recording then send the audio to the (noisy) P4 where it can be mixed to other tracks which don't use the live mic approach - hope this makes sense?

have a lovely quiet AthlonX2 but it's running Vista so i can't use it for synching tracks - a lot of things it delays with 'latency' :sick:

the P3 will be behind a door - outside the quiet room - so the sound of its HDD and cooling system will not be an issue, its keyboard and screen and usb interface/phones will be inside the room so i can monitor what i'm doing.

internet connectivity would be a massive bonus re new drivers and so forth, although following prompts here :thumbsup: i have been able to load the software program (a download) i use to the P3 by way of cd - brilliant!

will update -

thanks again :)

1,000,000 thanks btw! :thumbsup:

For file sharing you should be good to go.

Try to ping another computer on your network. Get its ip address and from the old computer in a command prompt type:
ping 192.168.1.101
inserting the ip of the other computer and you should get a reply.

no idea how to do this Hefemeister - i know the word 'ping' but i don't know how to do this.

If so make sure the two computers are in the same workgroup, share folders you want to share and you should be ready.

when you say 'same workgroup' is this something i will set up myself please?

As for internet you may need to repair tcp/ip and winsock. Perhaps a dns flush as well. What service pack are you running?

it must be XP SP3 - i think i'd upgraded XP as far as it would go by the time the P4 took over - so Microsoft would have been delivering the SP's to the P3 automatically at the time

i better update when i have the P3 where i need it and the USB EasyLink to hand

later!

kr

Open a command prompt after you have determined the ip of your other computer.
type in:
ping 192.168.x.x
replacing the x's with the ip of the other computer and press enter. You should get a reply from the other computer.

Windows XP
To change the computer name, to join a domain, or to add a computer description for a Windows XP-based computer, use the Computer Name tab in the System Properties dialog box. To locate this tab, use one of the following methods:

* Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
* Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
* Click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.

Change the computer name and join a domain or a workgroup
To change a computer name and to join a domain or a workgroup, follow these steps.

Warning Before you change a computer's membership from a domain to a workgroup, be sure that you know the user name and the password for an account in the local Administrators group. For more information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
317049 (You cannot log on after you remove the computer from the domain ) You cannot log on after you remove the computer from the domain

1. Click the Computer Name tab, and then click Change.
2. Type the new computer name in the Computer name dialog box.
3. Type the new domain or workgroup in either the Domain dialog box or the Workgroup dialog box.
4. Click More to change the primary Domain Name System (DNS) suffix.

Note Windows XP Home Edition is not designed to join domains. Windows XP Home Edition is only designed to join workgroups. Therefore, use Windows XP Professional to join domains.
5. Click OK three times, and then restart the computer.
How to change a computer name, join a domain, and add a computer description in Windows XP or in Windows Server 2003

Reset comments from a command prompt: The ones in red are the commands to type.
tcpip:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

reset winsock:
netsh winsock reset

flush dns:
ipconfig /flushdns

gosh thanks Hefemeister! i'm going to take this slowly, one step at a time. will print out your kind instructions and update.

many thanks again

kr

it would be so great to get the P3 online again after so long - i cleaned the hard drive out ages ago so there's loads of storage on board and it is carrying its max Ram - such a shame to let it stand idle when there is a good use i can put it to

Cisco's Network Magic: don't know what this is but will investigate with thanks :)

the reason for file-share is, music is my hobby, and i need a 'quiet room' for mic work, whereas i do the main music direct through pc, so ambient sound isn't an issue: i want to use the P3 for mic recording then send the audio to the (noisy) P4 where it can be mixed to other tracks which don't use the live mic approach - hope this makes sense?

have a lovely quiet AthlonX2 but it's running Vista so i can't use it for synching tracks - a lot of things it delays with 'latency' :sick:

the P3 will be behind a door - outside the quiet room - so the sound of its HDD and cooling system will not be an issue, its keyboard and screen and usb interface/phones will be inside the room so i can monitor what i'm doing.

internet connectivity would be a massive bonus re new drivers and so forth, although following prompts here :thumbsup: i have been able to load the software program (a download) i use to the P3 by way of cd - brilliant!

will update -

thanks again :)

http://www.purenetworks.com/product/pro.php
Follow that link above you and it will take you to cisco's network magic pro.
When you get all of your problems figured out try this one out I've use it for 3 years and have not had a problem with it.

Cisco Network Magic Pro Features
Follow that link above you and it will take you to cisco's network magic pro.
When you get all of your problems figured out try this one out I've use it for 3 years and have not had a problem with it.

that looks great, thanks :) it works for cable-heads like me as well as for wireless set-ups?

wireless is a no-no for me, i got too many devices pumping out frequencies :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom