ethernet linking P4 w/ P3 XP's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kr236rk

Baseband Member
hi,

i have an old P3 XP gathering dust. can i ethernet link it to my XP Dell D3000 P4 please?

would this be a straightforward thing to do or is it highly complicated?

the P3 has an ethernet socket because i remember fitting a new PCI type card with one into it several years ago. the P3 would not subsequently connect to the internet (broadband) because Microsoft have altered connection codes since the P3 was new (dial up) but i see no reason why the P3 couldn't hook up to the P4, which is broadband ok?

please advise

many thanks

Ric

What exactly areyou trying to do? Setup internet connection sharing? Setting up a local network to transfer files?

File-sharing, linked Windows pc's, Re: ethernet linking...

What exactly areyou trying to do? Setup internet connection sharing? Setting up a local network to transfer files?

Hi Carnage,

want to share files with a pc in another room.

might not use the P3 in the end but i definitely want to file-share between Windows software pc's.

many thanks

R

easiest way would be to get yourself a router. You could use a crossover cable with 2 computers but ultimately you will want a router for multiple connections and the ability to share internet easier.

easiest way would be to get yourself a router. You could use a crossover cable with 2 computers but ultimately you will want a router for multiple connections and the ability to share internet easier.

thanks: at the moment i am using something called a NetGear DG834G Modem Router which has two sockets in use and 2 empty but running an ethernet cable from the P3 direct to the router does not work, something to do with the older pc's numeric connection address being scrambled by Microsoft - so the internet cannot recognise the pc to communicate with it: i think this is known in the trade as 'built in obsolescence' [?] there is absolutely nothing wrong with the P3 and it would be ideal for the small project i want to run - but driver updates means the internet would be esential :-|

many thanks again

Does the p3 computer get an ip address from the router? from a command prompt type ipconfig and press enter. Should get a number like 192.168.1.105 if you get 169.x.x.x then it is not connecting.

What OS?

You can always download drivers and burn them to disk or use a usb drive from another computer.

Does the p3 computer get an ip address from the router? from a command prompt type ipconfig and press enter. Should get a number like 192.168.1.105 if you get 169.x.x.x then it is not connecting.

What OS?

You can always download drivers and burn them to disk or use a usb drive from another computer.

thanks: it was getting an incorrect number code when i tried to connect - i bought an ethernet card and plugged the P3 into the router, all the lights were flashing green a-ok. i worked out the correct code then manually inserted that into the pop-up, but it wouldn't have it. I know this is a Microsoft issue because when i contacted them they said if i paid 100 bucks to a firm who had taken over xp servicing they would fix the issue, so it's something which has been intentionally done to stop older pc's connecting ~ forcing you to shell out to Microsoft contractors or buy a new system?

yes, it's an XP - i manually upgraded the pc from Win 98SE

that's a great idea - but the program i need to run, which i am already licenced to run, is a download from the internet: in theory the software could be gotten onto the P3 harddrive in other ways, but i don't think it would work out that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom