Ethernet Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissy23

Beta member
I am a massive technophobe. I mean, I can use a computer but don't know anything about how stuff works so I'm hoping someone can help me lol

I bought a new base unit and it arrived today, connected it all up, it works! It came with a built in Ethernet port thingy (but no cable) so am I correct in thinking I have to buy a cable and connect it to my current modem? If so that's fine.

Also, I tried putting in my old wifi card thing from my old computer into this new computer and it wouldn't fit for some reason. The metal thing it's screwed on to is longer than the base unit itself - is there anyway that I can (easily, don't forget I need simple language lol) get wifi instead of ethernet?

Sorry if this makes no sense or if any of it seems silly

Thank you

Yes you would need to purchase an ethernet cable (Cat 5e) to connect the computer to your modem / router.

As for the wifi card, we would need to know what type of card it is first and the type of computer you bought. Simple things like model number or product number of both the new computer and of the card would work.

If that doesn't pan out you can go purchase a wifi card pretty cheap now adays to connect to your network. Again we would need to know what type of PC you bought before advising on that. And with this wifi card we are assuming your network is wireless. If it isn't then a wifi card won't do you any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom