Ethernet Connection Help

Hey! I'm having some trouble. So I have an ethernet cable running from the ethernet port in the wall downstairs to the modem downstairs as well. I also have a cable running from an ethernet port in the wall upstairs to my laptop (to test). When I open my network preferences, the ethernet solution is an option, but there isn't any text next to the ip address, subnet mask, router, DNS server, and search domains. When I plug the upstairs cable into the wifi extender upstairs and into the laptop, there are numbers next to all of those words except DNS server, where the text is grey (not black). I don't really know what to do, any idea?

Get your laptop and take it downstairs to your modem. Plug the ethernet cable from the modem directly into the laptop instead of into the ethernet port in the wall. Do any numbers come up? If they don't, it would really help to know the model number of your modem.

When I do that, it is the same as if I connected it to the wifi extender. The model # on the modem is B90-755025-15

Ok great! That means we just were wrong about the upstairs/downstairs ports being connected most likely, or the cable is bad in the wall :/ we can try a few things to test that if you'd like, just let me know. Is there anywhere else at all in the house with ports similar to those?

I'd say the easiest way to get your PC connected is to just run an ethernet cable from the PC to the wifi extender (now that you've moved it to the same room). It's not ideal, as your connection will be "Ethernet > Wifi > Internet" instead of "Ethernet > Internet", but it will work.
The grey text next to the DNS is probably just a default suggested server. Try loading google.com or something on your pc/laptop when connected as suggested above, if that works then the grey number is just fine.

The problem is, they're not in the same room. I think I was unclear. The Wifi extender is upstairs and the modem is downstairs. Is there an alternative to running the wire all the way up the stairs? (also I don't get any connection even when plugged straight into the modem. There are lots of setting options that I have idea what they mean. DCHP, IPv4, IPv6, etc.)

Ahh, I thought you said this?
My PC will be in my room and I probably move the wifi extended next to it.

Here's one more easy thing to check anyway

1. When you plug straight into the modem, is one of the numbers something like "169.254.1.123"?

2. And if you plug straight into the wifi extender, the same number field is something like "192.168.1.100"?

Don't worry btw, these particular numbers are perfectly fine to tell people on the internet, you won't get hacked haha

What I'm trying to find out is if your modem is setup to give out IP addresses over ethernet.
Think of that like a street address for your house! It's a way for the modem to find your pc, just like the street address is a way for delivery people to find your house.

Last edited:
Ok yes the extender is in my room. And yeah I think the numbers were like that. Not sure if they were those exact ones, but that format.

OK :) so for now, if you'd just like a working connection, get the extender in your room and plug your PC straight into that.

With those numbers, the important bit is the first two numbers (e.g. the "169.254" part or the "192.168" part). When you get time to test, check those and post back. You might still be in luck and not have to run a ethernet cable all the way upstairs! If you're uncomfortable, just screenshot it and PM me instead of posting to the open forum.
The ports in the wall could still work, and it might just be that the modem downstairs needs a tiny bit of a settings change. Don't worry, that part is easy too once we get those numbers sorted ;)

Great! :) Do you mean the two numbers listed first? (I think they're the ones next to ip address and subnet mask) If so, I can post back sometime tomorrow w/ the #s. Thanks so much for all the help!

Yep - to be honest, it'll be easiest to just screenshot the entire config page and PM me with it, again it should contain no dangerous info so don't worry, but if you're concerned just the IP Address and Default Gateway would be great.

Back
Top Bottom