Ethernet cable vs. WiFi - 802.11g

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticap

Baseband Member
Is there any performance loss by switching to WiFi - 802.11g from a basic DSL ethernet (wire) connection from the same gateway modem?

The signal strength seems to be constant at 98%, but I wonder if a WiFi connection could be slower in reality for some reason?

Yes it is slower. I get around 14mbps out of 16 when I'm connected through wired. I only get around 12mbps if I use wireless.

The speed difference is not noticable, but wifi can be annoying. Having to reconnect and such..I find it frustrating, which is why I use wired for my desktop.

For gaming your better off with Ethernet...

i have no choice unless i connect the longest cord we have in the house to my room, which is like 30 feet or something cable to reach my room. Other words, one side of the house to the other. That is y i keep making threads asking the best most reliable wireless G or N adapter for my computer, but no dice on good responses. I need one that has the least amount of disconnection while in use, which is gonna be gaming mostly for now.

i hate having my computer in the game room, i cant stay in there after midnight because my sister's friend lives with us in that room, so i get kicked out every midnight!

EDIT:

our wireless router is a Netgear Wireless G 108MBps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom