Ethernet Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know an engineer who recently looked into something similiar. Was going to build a wireless tower, but then the project was cancelled. Don't know any details, and have no idea how much that would cost.

Look into setting up a VPN connection if you need to transfer secure data. I would talk to your local ISPs for quotes and equipment.

You could try Line of sight [Infared, Laser, Mircowave] connection. Similar in some way to infrared connections found on some laptops, but in this case designed to work over much larger distances like kilometers.

There are many options here, just remember the climate/weather will affect, and you of course must have a clear view to the other building. I am guessing you can find a ISP that can set one up for you.

BooBoo said:
I need a bridge. One building has no way of getting an internet connection.

the bridge is secondary.....what you need to do first is get the connection established from the first building to the next.
there are several ways to do this. there are a lot of different PTP and PTMP wireless protocols that you could use. if you stick to a 50Mbps or lower data rate connection, then you can easily implement a connection that would be greatly reliable. geographically speaking, you don't have to worry too much about weather. your main concern is LOS and range. you can easy setup something less than 50mbps that would go up to 10miles or so for under $4-$5,000.
i will give you a 100% guarantee though, that purchasing equipment and setting it up yourself for the first time will be less efficient and more costly than a company that is already proficient in this area to do it for you.

Way out of my budget. I only need about a 256k connection. I thought I could use some of these $30 bridges and the $40 (2.4GHz or 800MHz) directional antennas. I guess I will forget this project.

Try looking at this:

http://www.dlink.com.au/Default.aspx?ArticleID=1395

There are also many other type of antenna's.

Or try going to another Wi-Fi manufactor and do a search for antenna's. I believe most of these antenna's can be directly connected to the Wi-Fi router.

I am sure most other Wi-Fi systems can also provide similar solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom