Ethernet Around the House

Status
Not open for further replies.

McHopsky

In Runtime
The internet comes into the house downstairs to a router and a cable goes upstairs to my room which I use for my computer. However, Im putting an old computer together for the **** of it, and it would be nice to have some internet on it aswell. I would like to use these computers simultaneously. The problem is, only 1 cable comes upstairs. What are my options? Would I need to set up another router or do they make spliters or something of that matter?

Hamiksaiaja said:
why not just use passive hub? the price is much cheaper.
'

The cheapest Hub on newegg is 23, the cheapest switch is 5.99 after 10$ rebate.

The switch's are cheaper, hubs are only used in real special circumstances nowadays, unless the person is using hub's because they bought them before switches were cheaper.

DJ-CHRIS said:
'

....unless the person is using hub's because they bought them before switches were cheaper.

this is pretty much the only reason why hubs are around. get a switch. you will always get better performance from a switch and it's not worth buying a hub anymore. hubs used to be about $50 when switches were still $150-$200.

alnilla said:
a switch is a "Smart Hub" pretty much so u want a dumb thing or a smart one lol

The term "smart" usually refers to having a managed switch or hub, with can do stuff like STP, VLAN's and bandwidth shaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom