Establishing a new broadband connection ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4mes_bond25

Baseband Member
I've got a D-link DI-624+ router, which up until now has connected to my NTL's modem & both sitting on top of my base unit. I receive the wireless connection to my laptop through this router, for browsing Internet & fire sharing, etc. NTL's Internet is connected through Ethernet (DSL connection). My PC has NOT got the Wireless card but my laptop has.

I'm now thinking to cancel my NTL's connection & get myself signed-up on www.plus.net Internet. Alongside, what I also wish to do is to move my PC to different room.

If I get the ADSL based connection through www.plus.net, I reckon the connection would be through my BT line downstairs, which is the ONLY BT telephone socket I've at home. Hence to connect this ADSL based Internet, I'll have to establish connection from all the way downstairsÂ’ BT telephone socket to upstairsÂ’ PC.

In order NOT to have to connect downstairs’ BT socket with the router upstairs (so as NOT to have the hassle of “cabling”), alternatively, I could have my D-link router downstairs connected in my BT telephone socket & have a wireless card for my upstairs’ PC, so it can receive signal from the router downstairs. However, if I do so, I need to make sure that my D-link router has a “built-in” modem as well. How do I find that out ??? If it hasn’t got the built-in modem then I’ll have to rely on connecting this router with the modem provided by www.plus.net, which means, I’ll HAVE to keep this router connected to my modem using a “cable” & hence will have to keep it sitting on my base unit (meaning, I’ll have to connect “BT socket downstairs” with this router using a “cable” all the way from downstairs to upstairs, isn’t it).

Shall I have another BT socket installed upstairs, so as NOT to have a cable connecting from downstairsÂ’ socket to upstairsÂ’ router ???

I wonder if anyone around could possibly point me in the right direction & how exactly do I go about establishing the desired connection in an efficient way.

Additionally, I wonder that bearing in mind I wish to establish new connection in a new room now, should I say www.plus.net that IÂ’ve ALREADY got the Internet connection or should I say, I need a brand new connection ??? After all, thereÂ’s a massive difference in the way, IÂ’m currently connected (through DSL i.e. through cable drilled through my wall) & what I now want i.e. ADSL based connection (through my telephone line)

If thereÂ’s anything unclear with the situation or if anyone wish to ask me further to know something, before they could help me out, please do contact me using my e-mail.

Here in canada we don't have to worry about running cables the tellco will put the jack where ever you want it, and they do a good job as well. (they are making a fortune off you). And a dL624 does not have built in modem.

Now your other question you could put the modem and router where ever you want you would only need to have a pc hooked to it in order to configure it. You could use the laptop for this, and really that is only for convience because as long as the wireless is working you could configure it anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom