Enlighten me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexluethar

Fully Optimized
Helping out someone with their Outlook Express. Addmittedly I'm not super savvy with networking, I know enough to get by but this has me stumped.

He is running Windows XP SP3 and the issue is with Outlook Express. His Internet is Road Runner and his AV is Norton 360

What happens is when he is logged onto his computer for an extended period of time (20 minutes or more) his outlook Exress will throw this error message out:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Home', Server: 'pop-server.kc.rr.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I've done a ton of digging and the only explanation people have given is Norton's email scanning device. I've disabled that and I still get the same error message (admittedly haven't restarted it, was hoping any changes like that I make i can test right away since the error message is still up).

I've double and triple checked his SMTP and Pop settings to Road Runners and they are all good - and his email works fine for a little while but then he gets this error message. Try to resend and still get hte message. Close out of the application and open back up and still get the message. The only sure fix is restarting the computer - then it works fine.

What is going on...?

ipconfig /all won't flush the dns, ipconfig /flushdns will.

Try taking a look at the event viewer. Start the computer, wait for the error, remember the time, then open Event Viewer (Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools) and look for an error at the time you rememberered. There'll be a little more info usually on why the error happened. Should point you in the right direction.

I have the error message, i've posted it. It says that it cannot communicate with the smtp rr server. I know this, i knew this. My question is why it is happening. I've gotten everything from their server is down (which is BS because by chance their server is back up when i restart? doubtful) to the AV is causing the issue.

Internet works great, everything works except Outlook Express. Restarting the application doesn't fix it, still same error message (look at first post for message). A solid restart fixes the issue.

I think it is the AV, but i don't know a whole lot about networking. I've turned off email scanner and it hasn't happen as of yet (took about half an afternoon and tried to replicate the issue, but couldn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom