Encrypting my wireless Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
Alright, i know i can do it on XP Professional, as of now, i have the following setup.

Motorolla Cable modem - Motorolla Wireless Router G

of course, my friend has a PCI adapter plugged into his computer and picking up the signal, but i don't want anyone else getting onto the signal for free or become the victim of war driving.

so if theres anything i can post as far as specifics please let me know so i can secure my network a bit better . i know it seems extremely noob of me.

go to your routers Ip adress . its the default one and set up a WEP or WAP.. its a password so if someone wants to join your network it prompts a password to them.

homerj14 said:
go to your routers Ip adress . its the default one and set up a WEP or WAP.. its a password so if someone wants to join your network it prompts a password to them.

Its Actually WPA, WAP is Wireless Access Point Or In Some Cases WAP Stands for Wireless Application protocal.....

WPA is Wifi protected Access While WEP is Wired Equivalent Privacy.

WEP is very weak, Passwords are transfered in Plain Text, Therefore they can be easily "Sniffed".

So Use WPA if anything, much better security.

non sense I'm sure it's possible with the right connections. Anyways what is the strength on WPA2?

Ste said:
Its Actually WPA, WAP is Wireless Access Point Or In Some Cases WAP Stands for Wireless Application protocal.....

WPA is Wifi protected Access While WEP is Wired Equivalent Privacy.

WEP is very weak, Passwords are transfered in Plain Text, Therefore they can be easily "Sniffed".

So Use WPA if anything, much better security.

Ok , i got that, now i need some websites, or directions on how. i know this is a bit demanding of me, but, iam trying to figure out everything.
WAP sounds like the route i need to be heading as far as correcting my problem, and having everything work for me. so, how exactly can i do all of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom