Email Server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

compute

Beta member
I have an email server setup & we are changing our DNS provider. With our old provider all I had to do was give them our "Fully Qualified Domain Name" & IP address. The new company makes us do everything ourselves & won't tell me how to setup DNS correctly to be able send and receive emails. Basically all they do is say, "Here is where you change it, have at it". They say they do not support the actual setup, only the hosting.... Can anyone help? for the MX record I just need to point it to our FQDN with a priority of 0 correct? (we only have one server.) The PTR and rDNS records are setup by my isp right? And if I'm not mistaken the A record points to our IP..... am i correct in this? do the name servers need changed to the new provider or to i point that to the anme servers the actual server uses? Is there anything i have wrong or am missing? I also would like to know about CNAME & SPF Records if anyone has any comments or links or anything, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dude, nothing much has to change. The only thing you've gotta do is enter in the IP and domain name of the mail server in the new DNS server. e.g. 10.0.1.1 is the IP Address and the name is mail.xyzcompany.com
All the other company did for you was enter in that information. It's very easy :)

SPF records are used to stop address spoofing, e.g. someone sending mail from someone@yourcompanyname.com

CNAMEs are explained very well here: wiki CNAME

Are you sure? Won't my emails get flagged as spam? From what I've seen if even the smallest thing is off with your records your message will go to the spam/junk folder... Maybe I'm wrong. This is a very important server for my company as it keeps our clients informed about different "need to know" changes about our company. Thanks again for your help.

Also, thabks for the CNAME Link, that's what exactly what I needed to clear that up.

edit: garh, I'm far too sleep deprived atm :)

MX records map your domain name to your mail server(s). That's it. Basically all you'll need is the hostname of your mail server (e.g mail.yourcompany.com). Your MX Record will probably look like this:

yourdomain.com IN MX 10 mail.yourdomain.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom