Email over Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddymoore

Beta member
I have searched the net for solutions for this but it seems like perhaps its so basic that no-one has bothered to post any info on the matter.

I have a small network of a handful of computers. At the moment, email comes from the outside world into server (all email has common domain), sorted by an Avirt Mail Server (now obsolete) and given to users. When users send mail, they send direct to ISP from their machines.( The only reason for sending direct to ISP is so im happy that spam isnt being sent from our server - used to be sorted at server at sent from there but irrelevent for now.) Works ok but what I am wondering is can internal mail be sent within the network without having to go to the ISP and back again?

What email servers/programs over this facility or is it more basic than this?

Regards

From my understanding you can run just about any mail server software like http://www.sendmail.org/ on a server inside your LAN.

Now set that server to a static IP, and make it accessible to everyone on the network.

They can use the server IP for their email clients instead of a domain.

EDIT: I dont recomend the above software, as you should do research for what SMTP server will be the best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom