dynamic ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlita

Beta member
Hi all.

I'm a consultant working for several customers. I usually need to connect to their computers through internet. Some of them use dynamic ips so I have to call on them to ask for the ip to be able to make the connection ....

I wonder if there can be an "automatic" solution for this...

Thank you in advance.

Carlita.
carlitariverasm@yahoo.com

Hi bla!!

Thank you for your reply. I wouldn't like to be dependent on a third party, like dyndns or no-ip. They will always know the real IPs of my customers.

I'll check gotomypc out.

carlita

Re: tracking dynamic ips

JohnPatrickColl said:
Hi.

I used to have the same problem. I found a program that mails me the dynamic IPs of my customers. This program has to be installed in one Windows PC in the customer network. Works OK. No need to send the IP addresses to a 3rd party, or signup for a lot of domains.

http://www.geocities.com/alvaro_de_leon_sc/TellMeTheDynIP.html

JPC

with dynamic dns, you're updating dns records via an agent app. The agent app is very similar to what your emailer is doing, but the changes are automatically saved in dns servers so no user intervention is required to make the change.

Re: tracking dynamic ips

JohnPatrickColl said:
Hi.

I used to have the same problem. I found a program that mails me the dynamic IPs of my customers. This program has to be installed in one Windows PC in the customer network. Works OK. No need to send the IP addresses to a 3rd party, or signup for a lot of domains.

http://www.geocities.com/alvaro_de_leon_sc/TellMeTheDynIP.html

JPC

Tks John! I installed this program in 3 customers; now I have their current IPs in my email... at any time I can swiftly vnc or pcaw them. I'm installing the program in all the others.

Carlita

Re: Re: tracking dynamic ips

csamuels said:
with dynamic dns, you're updating dns records via an agent app. The agent app is very similar to what your emailer is doing, but the changes are automatically saved in dns servers so no user intervention is required to make the change.

What I don't like is the idea that somebody has all my customers DNSs and IPs. Also, if their site stops working, my customer's sites will lose the link with their DNSs after the next IP change.

Re: Re: Re: tracking dynamic ips

carlita said:
Also, if their site stops working, my customer's sites will lose the link with their DNSs after the next IP change.

if the customers link to the inet gets d/c'd now, your emails will error out and you won't know their ip.

dyndns just makes it an easier config. the same dns name regardless of the ip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom