Dynamic IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubnod

Solid State Member
Hey,

I have a dynamic IP, as I have been told by service provider, but somehow it just stays static. I am not sure how to change it so it is possible for it to change, I've messed around with all settings I can think of, but still it stays the same. Does anyone know a little article that could help, or even offer some advice?

I'm guessing your IP address is what ISPs call "dynamically static." Most cable modem service providers do this, as far as I know. Your IP address will remain the same unless you shut off your computer for a couple days or so.

Your IP address is first assigned to you by your ISP, but after a couple of days of disconnection, the IP address will be declared "inactive" and assigned to another customer.

You can call your ISP and request that your IP be changed. By law....as of early 2001, they must change it and keep a log upon your request. Or, you can do what Martin suggested. ;)

I've called them before. It has changed a few times, but a few days ago it just stopped changing. I'll try and shut off my computer for that long, possibly. Are you sure it works?

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't doing an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew at the cmd prompt release the ip binding and renew it, more than likely with a new ip??

not always. im not sure how this is setup, but here at work our comps keep the same ips even though they're pulling from dhcp. I think it has to do with a mac address table on the server. Even if i release/renew my address on my work pc, i still get the same address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom