DSL vs. Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deborah

Beta member
I am currently just an aol customer. I am looking for speed in hooking up to the internet and I want to eliminate the problem of my phone line being tied up while I am on the net. I am interested in some feed back on the pros and cons of DSL vs. Broadband. I'd appreciate any input.

lol.....yes
Are you referring to cable? I will assume you are.... ;)

I have never been a DSL customer. I have always been extremely happy with Cable.

A lot of our buiness clients go with a DSL provider out here on the West Coast called "Quest". I have never in my life been through as many horrors with technical support. We don't usually deal with them, but my clients ALWAYS complain about them.

I do experience less than frequent disconencts with cable but it's fixable by simply powering off the cable modem and bringing it back online.
The service of course, depends on the area in which you live. More than likely, you will get higher speeds with cable. Comcast, in Seattle delivers an average of 3.3 MB/sec to it's clients. DSL is about 768K per sec which is a lot less.

So are you 3.3MB/sec costumer..? i envy you...lol I have a ADSL connection of 64kb/sec and i am lot happier than b4. When i was having 56k aol. Actually it delivers below 28kb/sec.

Funnything is ,In UK you have the same price £15.99 for both aol dial up and tiscali broadbad. Now BT (british telecom) is offering 512 KB/sec for £20pcm. And there was a advertisement ...that ICS is not possible for that ,to have ICS we need to pay £27.99 ...is it possible?

I have used both 512K CABLE and 512K DSL.

Cable is faster (especially considering that the local phone exchange new my places sux) However the plans are more attractive on DSL. I can get a UNLIMITED plan which does mean UNLIMTED. My sister's UNLIMITED cable plan as a 3Gb Cap.

rajunpl, what I was taught is that broadband is just a description. If your connection to the internet is faster than 1.5 Mb/s, it is termed broadband. So dedicated T lines, and cable and DSL, depending on your connection speed, are all broadband connections.

i'd prefer cable but DSL is all i can get where i live at the moment.... I WANT MY CABLE BACK :(

just thought i would add..... well i found this so it isn't my quote but yeah i agree with the followiung statements...

In bandwidth, cable is king: With the exception of fiber optics, there is no faster way to send a data stream from one location to another. In my tests, I've seen instantaneous speeds of 7 megabits per second over my cable modem -- that's the underlying speed of the data channel between my house and the next router on the network. Of course, I don't actually see 7 Mbps in my daily use. When I transfer more than a few packets of data, the cable modem is programmed to slow down the rate of transfer to roughly 600 Kbps. This prevents me from taking more than my fair share of the available bandwidth.

cheers

DSL might be slower than cable but is more reliable, and NEVER goes out or gets slow; very consistent.

slick4788 that's not true i get blackouts and slowdowns more often than i should here. it goes out like once a month for a few hours and i swear it went out daily for a few minutes. I use Verizon. there was that one time the phoneline got knocked out in another city and DSL was down for days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom