DSL speed not up to par

Status
Not open for further replies.

H4x3r

AKA ComatoseClown
hey guys....i have Windstream 3.0mbps DSL....and it has worked fine for as long as i can remember....but as of the past week...i cant get it to go above 1.0mbps...and it is really hackin' me off....it is like this on all the computers on the network so i know it's not just my computer.....i've tried the following:

re-setting the router
hooking straight into the modem from the computer
trying different cables from the phone jack

nothing works...and tonight i can't get it above 600kbps....this really sucks...anyone have any idea whats going on?.....thanks a lot for the help...i'm just at a loss as to why this is happening

all my speed tests were from speakeasy and speedtest

i did that as i stated up there....still no dice...i'm fixing to give em a ring and hope they don't send me to some dude in india

it's about 20ft long.....perhaps i'll move the modem and see what happens
â™ 

it's about 20ft long.....perhaps i'll move the modem and see what happens
â™ 
Is it the same cable you've always been using? If so, unless it's gotten damaged by the cat, vacuum cleaner, etc., that shouldn't be it.

Assuming your DSL is on the same copper wires as your phone service (using filters on the phones, etc), has anyone hooked anything up to your phone line lately? A new fax machine, DirecTV set-top-box, wireless phones, etc? You can have no more than five filters on the line generally.

DSL is directly affected by the quality of the signal, so it may not be you. The copper wires might have come loose in wind, corroded, etc. You might have to get them to send out a tech to measure signal loss. They can also pinpoint which side of the wall (theirs or yours) it's on if that turns out to be the problem. They may also have a problem with the DSLAM (look it up) in their offices. That happened to me once and they had to reset one of the boards. (It was the same for 31 other DSL customers, but I was the only one complaining.)

Have you contacted the ISP to see if they have any other reports of trouble? Could be that your settings in their equipment got jacked up, congestion in their network, or as already mentioned, trouble on the local loop (copper pairs out to your prem)

thanks for all the advise guys, i called their tech support...which was a nightmare...i couldn't understand the woman from india and she left me on hold for about 1.5 hrs....and then said she would send a tech and if it was my problem she would charge me...to which i replied then don't send the tech and she said "he'll be there by dec 3rd" then hung up on me....

If that is the case, you can try calling back, and escalating to get a Tier 2 engineer on the line (hopefully one you can understand).... Many call centers overseas are in Indo-Asia and the Phillipene's..... and the tech's from what I have found are often not familiar with the work they do, and simply read scripted answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom