DSL Speed - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default DSL Speed

Hi all.

I'm pretty sure I'm right about this, in that one of the differences between a cable connection to the Internet and a DSL connection is that a cable connection's speed can be effected (slowed down) during peak usage times.

I think the higher peak usage times is later afternoon into the evening hours (when people who have 1st-shift day-jobs are getting home from work, kids are home from school, etc.). This is when if, in a neighborhood that has subscribers to a local cable company for their Internet connection, many people are logged on all at the same time, then connection speeds can drop.

With DSL, since this is not the same as a cable connection and is not "shared" but rather a dedicated line to just your house, shouldn't your DSL speed remain relatively consistent?

I don't mean just because, say, your subscriber contract with a company is for 50Mbps, that you will always get EXACTLY that speed. Almost as a disclaimer, companies usually use a phrase such as "with speeds up to...."

From a little searching I did, one of the items that can affect your DSL speed is you're house's distance from the "exchange" or the "hub". That sound about right?

I've got a quality DSL modem and other quality equipment with my desktop system. If there are not any other draws on my connection (other devices in my home using the wireless signal), then shouldn't my DSL speed be pretty much what I am subscribing to?

Just the network cable going from my DSL modem to my desktop tower unit's NIC. So, a hardwired connection, not Wi-Fi.

With my subscription speed that I pay for, I'm not going to quibble if it's a Mb or two lower than what's stated, but, there are times (like RIGHT NOW!!!!) where it's about 10Mbps lower than what my subscription contract speed is supposed to be.

So what do you think? If I contact my ISP, do I have a legit complaint with them? Or will they be able to wiggle out of it somehow by claiming that such-and-such will affect your speed, blah-blah-blah, etc.?

Thanks for any info,
Pez

Old 10-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: DSL Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzy View Post
Hi all.

I'm pretty sure I'm right about this, in that one of the differences between a cable connection to the Internet and a DSL connection is that a cable connection's speed can be effected (slowed down) during peak usage times.
Correct

Quote:
I think the higher peak usage times is later afternoon into the evening hours (when people who have 1st-shift day-jobs are getting home from work, kids are home from school, etc.). This is when if, in a neighborhood that has subscribers to a local cable company for their Internet connection, many people are logged on all at the same time, then connection speeds can drop.

With DSL, since this is not the same as a cable connection and is not "shared" but rather a dedicated line to just your house, shouldn't your DSL speed remain relatively consistent?
Should, yes.

Quote:
I don't mean just because, say, your subscriber contract with a company is for 50Mbps, that you will always get EXACTLY that speed. Almost as a disclaimer, companies usually use a phrase such as "with speeds up to...."

From a little searching I did, one of the items that can affect your DSL speed is you're house's distance from the "exchange" or the "hub". That sound about right?
Correct - distance and age of the lines can affect quality/speed.

Quote:
I've got a quality DSL modem and other quality equipment with my desktop system. If there are not any other draws on my connection (other devices in my home using the wireless signal), then shouldn't my DSL speed be pretty much what I am subscribing to?

Just the network cable going from my DSL modem to my desktop tower unit's NIC. So, a hardwired connection, not Wi-Fi.

With my subscription speed that I pay for, I'm not going to quibble if it's a Mb or two lower than what's stated, but, there are times (like RIGHT NOW!!!!) where it's about 10Mbps lower than what my subscription contract speed is supposed to be.

So what do you think? If I contact my ISP, do I have a legit complaint with them? Or will they be able to wiggle out of it somehow by claiming that such-and-such will affect your speed, blah-blah-blah, etc.?

Thanks for any info,
Pez
So is it consistently less than what you pay for? Or just randomly/"once-in-a-while"?

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
carnageX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: DSL Speed

Depending on what your service is, your DSL will also have hubs just like cable and then speeds can be affected by the distance from that hub and the repeater or office. That would mean DSL speed would be affected by peak usage as well.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote