DSL setup issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjmitch2

In Runtime
My friend just got DSL thru CavTel, the setup was quick and easy with the provided software from them, but she still couldn't connect.

So she gave me call and I offered to check it out - here's whats happening:
-any page will time out with the "page cannot be loaded" error.
-the connection says that she is sending data but not recieving data back.
-I installed a pci NIC and disabled the on-board NIC and the same thing happens.
- CavTel says that everything is setup correctly, yet they cannot read a MAC address from the PC?????
- CavTel even gave me a different IP and gateway to use and it still happens.

Could all this be caused by bad wiring in the apartment building where she lives?? or is CavTel just crap?? I am completely stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

The PC is an Emachines running XP Media Center, it is brand new right out of the box.

Yes, if the wiring is bad in the building, that could be causing the issue, but also note that if that is the case, she would have poor line quality when picking up the phone... crackling, static, calls getting cut off.... etc. etc.

Is the computer plugged into the DSL modem directly, then into the wall, or is there a router between the PC & modem? Can you verify if you are using the DSL client on the PC to connect to the internet, or through the router (if ther is one)? Make sure the account name & password are correct.... are you getting an IP address from the ISP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom