dsl modem/router problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterhuang913

Retired.
I have a dsl router that came with my sbc dsl service. I recently bought a D-Link DI-524 router to get some more ports. the modem works fine with other computers, but when i try to plug the modem and the router together, the router wont work. what are some suggestions to make the router work?

It sounds like you didn't configure the router properly with your DSl information. I'd go back into the PPoE configuration and make sure the username/password is entered correctly, as well as any other PPoE connection settings you may need to connect to your ISP.

The router has a BUILT IN switch, in this case, it has a 4 port switch, and wireless capabilities.

Can you describe the MODEM you are using? Is this one of the 1 port Speed Touch modems that SBC generally sends out for DSL customers, or is a modem with integrated router? If you can, list the modem model number, and describe the number & types of ports it has...

Once we get that, we can continue to troubleshoot.

Don't forget to power cycle the modem after plugging it into a new device.

This basically means unplug power from it, wait about a minute, and plug it back in.

the modem is a 2wire 1701hg model. It has 1 phone line in and 4 ethernet out. I think its a router too because it supports networking and DHCP. Also what does power cycling do to anything?

Ok, you have a modem with an integrated router.

Step 1, is to get the IP address and subnet info from the 2wire device. To do this, plug a computer into it, and from that computer go to START > RUN > type "CMD" > then type "IPCONFIG" into the command prompt, and you should see something similar to the following....
Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Do a copy & paste, and list that info in this thread.

Step 2, will be to hook up a computer (wired) to the DI-524. DO NOT CONNECT ANYTHING ELSE TO THE D-LINK AT THIS POINT. From here, you will want to give the D-Link a new IP Address & subnet mask if it isn't already in the same subnet as the 2wire modem. Once that is done, then make sure to DISABLE DHCP on the D-Link. There should only be ONE DHCP server in a LAN, and the 2wire would be best to handle that, as it is the gateway.

Step 3, will be to connect the D-Link to the 2wire. You will want to use ONLY THE LAN ports on both devices. The WAN (internet) port on the D-Link will NOT be used.

I would like to thank tech forums and you, Ethereal_Dragon, for giving me help thus far. Your help has given me new insight to networking and new knowledge so I can continue to use this knowledge to help TF and myself and the people around me.

Ok, so the Wan port of the dlink shouldn't be connected to a port like [4] on the 2wire but instead a port like [1] on dlink to [4] on 2wire?
Do i set my router to dynamic or what to give it the ip address? The admin page for the 2wire shows that it gave the router an address. where so i assign this address to the router?

i.e.
Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.73 to the admin comp, different from router address
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

also, is bridging nessesary if i want the router to be a hub/switch?

Not a problem at all Peter.

Anyways.... You CAN have (I think anyways) the D-Link router get its address via DHCP, however, I would recommending giving it a static address. This way, if in the future you need to access the D-Links config page with minimal impact on the network, you already know the address to get to it.

I would say, make the address for the D-Link 192.168.1.253 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

now I am rather particular in the topology of networks, so I would say you use the same port on each router for connecting them.... port 1 on each side, or port 4 on each side. That way, if you have to do anything with the network, you aren't left guessing which cable is for what device. (I know, doesn't really matter in the case of a home network, more of a business related thing.)

Once you get here.... you should be good to go, simply connect the two, and (I recommend) enable wireless security on the D-Link.

how would i go about giving the router a static ip from my 1701hg modem? since dhcp assigns the ips automatically?
double check and comment plz
networkou9.png

also both modem and router have wep 128bit because im too lazy to try wpa2 since its new

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom