DSL modem problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.

multany

Baseband Member
hi all!

well, i looked for help in a number of places, but nobody was of much help...anyways..

first off, i just moved from dial-up to DSL a few days ago.

i play a game for my PS2 called FFXI (an mmorpg). Usually it can be used on a pc, but in my case it's for PS2..

it uses an HDD. And now since i have DSL, i need an ethernet cable for it.

now i already have one DSL modem for my comp, but it's across the house from my PS2. ..

now here's the main question: Since my current DSL modem is basically too far to use a DSL router on, could i just buy another DSL modem and use it in my room at the same time?

iv'e heard that a household can't use 2 DSL modems. is this true?

well anyways, i can't run an ethernet cable across the house. and lastly, i can't go wireless either.

any help would be greatly appreciated =)

I don't think you can use two dsl modems AT THE SAME
TIME. That is what a router is for. I think you could buy
another dsl modem and use it while the other computer
wasn't using the dsl or you could just move the current dsl modem to use it in your room while you play the game
then move it back to its original location.

Even if you decide to buy another modem I would suggest
you use the current one to test with to get the PS2
working before you spend the money for another modem.

If your DSL is synched to the MAC on the modem, you will have a very difficult time using another modem.

What is preventing you from using a router and running CAT 5, or going wireless for that matter???

well, the problem with a CAT 5 is that i really don't think my parents would allow me to run a cable throught the whole house.. through a wall or otherwise....

and also, iv'e heard that a PS2 HDD really really sucks with a wireless... like, it's pretty much undoable

See about running a cable UNDER the house.

All you would have to do is drill a 1/4" hole in the floor at the edge of the baseboard (or base of the wall if you don't have baseboards)... in a corner would be the least obvious. Do the same in your room. Run bulk CAT-5 cable, stapling to the floor joists as you go, then add a plug to each end after it is run.

Be sure to leave extra cable (several feet) at each end... just roll it up and tie up with a twist tie.

hmm.. that might work.. but i think i'm gonna try and run it outside of the house maybe... tanks everyone for all the help =)

oh and also, where can i get a CAT5or CAT6? .. they're ethernet cables right? lol . i just checked on bestbuy.com and i think they only have a 7.ft one Oo.. maybe i'm not reading it right tho

Home Depot will carry them, along with many local hardware stores you may need crimping tools though, whichs hould also be carried at the same places. OR, just do it the quick way, and get 2 patch cables, and 2 wall sockets, those require not tools to install (I beleive you just press the wire into the slots). A little messy, but very fast. either way should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom